Each sent email from my site is received 15 minutes or more by the users

Each sent email from my site is received 15 minutes or more by the users

by Hanif Furqon Hidayat -
Number of replies: 4

This issue starts since the first time I installed Moodle to my host. It is very stressful when my students register their accounts by their email didn't receive their confirmation in a short time. Usually, it takes 15 minutes or more to receive the confirmation. It also happens when registered users request to reset the password, but it doesn't take 5 minutes to receive the email. My email settings in Moodle are set to default.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hanif Furqon Hidayat

Re: Each sent email from my site is received 15 minutes or more by the users

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Okay, but what about your cron? It is the cron that times the sent email messages, so what's the setting for the cron?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm going to cautiously suggest that those particular messages are not queued for sending my the cron (without checking) they are sent immediately. 

If the OP's mail settings are really *default* then the Sendmail application on the server (well, we know it isn't Windows) has been configured to send mail and works. Anyway, doesn't sound like a Moodle issue. 

Speak to the mail administrator.

In reply to Colin Fraser

I think it is hard to see the cron since I host my site in a web hosting. The host doesn't allow me to get cron job for every minute.

I have contacted the administrator, and I'm still waiting for the answer. Is there any solution to solve my problem?

In reply to Hanif Furqon Hidayat

I just got the answer from the administrator. This is what they told to me.

We think it's normal since Moodle doesn't send email directly, unlike our webmail service. You need to change the settings to connect Moodle to our webmail service.

So, what's next?