Inclusion by the student of their methodology in Calculated Question

Inclusion by the student of their methodology in Calculated Question

by Declan Maher -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all.  

Version:  Moodle 3

ideally I am seeking the following.  Using a Calculated Question where students would include not just their calculated value  but also an explanation of their  methodology.   I like calculated questions with their random input values per individual student  but I would also like to give a fair mark to those students who submit an incorrect value yet demonstrate a good methodological approach, e.g., make a single mistake somewhere  (divides instead of multiplies; puts a decimal point at the wrong position, etc).    Also, there is no ideal set of steps - very different approaches can lead to the correct answer.  In essence, I suppose what I am looking for is a combo of calculated question and essay question in which I would only need to review the methodology for incorrect responses.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Declan Maher

Re: Inclusion by the student of their methodology in Calculated Question

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you seen the additional question behaviour of deferred feedback with explanation ?.

It seems to be what you are looking for.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Germán Valero

Re: Inclusion by the student of their methodology in Calculated Question

by Declan Maher -

Thank you so much Germán for that insight - it seems perfect for my needs.