Server Checks MariaDB Out of Date

Server Checks MariaDB Out of Date

by Matt Dixon -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm attempting to upgrade a development test environment of mine from 3.5 to 3.5.1. I am currently using InMotion Hosting's shared server plan. I previously installed straight to 3.5 using their "Softaculous" app. It installed 3.5 fine, but in trying to upgrade it through the moodle Admin panel, it's telling me the following error check: "

Name: Database

Information: mariadb

Report: version 5.5.31 is required and you are running 5.5.5.10.2.12

So it sounds like the DB on the shared server is out of date and I might be out of luck because the shared server DB cannot be changed. My old environment (the live site) is on Moodle 2.5 which is very old, and ALSO says the same thing when trying to upgrade to 2.6. Yet here I am with a 3.5 seemingly working environment on my test environment (on the same account and shared server). I just ran the upgrade to 3.5.1 through Softaculous and the upgrade instructed me to change '$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysqli';' to $CFG->dbtype    = 'mariadb'; and that error went away. 

So my question is "what gives...?" The Moodle admin panel seemed like it was saying the servers DB was out of date, but really I just needed to change some config.php line? Is my site not going to work properly because I'm on an old mariadb or is that error message benign?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Dixon

Re: Server Checks MariaDB Out of Date

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You've set the wrong database type. In config.php change the database type from 'mysql' to 'mariadb'

I'm not sure what you mean by 'upgrade through the Moodle admin panel'. Moodle has no facility to self-upgrade. 

This is possibly another reason not to use Softtaculous in the first place.