Database date problem

Re: Database date problem

by David Csiki -
Number of replies: 2

This is how my profile looks like. Every field is a date field without the time part, and they're set to the 25th of each month.

The problem is on the DB side, FROM_UNIXTIME doesn't give me the desired results.

I know that FROM_UNIXTIME default is to return the date in the server timezone, but I did override it to use UTC.

It seems like the timestamps moodle writes to the database are not UTC/GMT values, and they differ by daylight savings.

Attachment Screenshot_2018-07-18_13-20-52.png
In reply to David Csiki

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

I know that FROM_UNIXTIME default is to return the date in the server timezone, but I did override it to use UTC.

How did you do it?
You need to properly set timezone in PHP and then playing with Moodle configuration setting, timezone in /admin/settings.php?section=locationsettings, as described in https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Location#Default_time_zone.
Beware that when using docker the timezone in the container would be UTC unless you'll mount it from the host e.g. /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by David Csiki -

Hello Matteo,

> How did you do it?

I played with the time_zone variable in MySQL.

I would like to find a way to accurately convert the timestamps to MySQL date on DB side.

I found the FROM_UNIXTIME function unreliable. It's as if moodle would calculate DST into the persisted timestamp.

Another test I did:

• Created a custom date/time profile field with the Include time? option checked.
  • Went to my profile settings and filled up the new field with this datetime: 24 March 2018, 2:00 PM
  • The value in the DB: 1524661200 which checks out.
  • Changed to field again to 25 April 2018, 2:00 PM (the day when DST kicked in)
  • The value in the DB: 1521982800 which is now one hour behind!

FROM_UNIXTIME expects the timestamp to be in UTC/GMT.

I found this code.
When setting a date/time profile field, the value of $applydst is true.

(Altough if the condition check is removed, then it overcorrects the timestamp by applying the difference two times. Saving a date/time profile field calls this function three times actually.)