Grades not shown for studens

Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -
Number of replies: 13

Grades for students is not shown in courses, even when

1.       Permission for students to see their own grades is set to yes in courses,

2.       In Site Administration/Users/Permissions/Check system permissions the parameter View own grades is showing to Yes.

Why's that?

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Grades not shown for studens

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Can you provide more detail? 

In course settings, is show grades set to Yes?

when a student logs in, what do they see - can they see the grades link in the admin block? If so, when they go to their course grade book, do they see categories I. The grade book but not assignments? 

A screen shot of a students view would be helpful (with their personal info blurred out of course) to see what exactly the issue is. 

In reply to John Provasnik

Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -

As told in my post, 'Show grades' is set to Yes.

The Grades label is shown for the student in Course Navigation, but the error message:

'Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View grades of other users)'

is shown.

If View grades of other users is set to Yes in Site Administrator/Users/Permissions/Define roles/student/View grades to other students is set to Yes, the student can se grades for all students in the course, and that is not wanted.

The grades can be shown in student Administrator menu for all the courses the student partisipant in.

In reply to Skule Sormo

Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -

Further investigation shows that denial of grade book access  for students in the Courses  depends on the course choosen. Some courses accept access to the Grades, anothers do not. It seems to me that the setup of the course parameters have someting to say about the results. I have compared to course setup parameter listings for two courses, one accepting and another not accepting access to grade. But I cannot find any differense in the parameter listing I have been through.  So this situation seems very strange to me.

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do students have another role in the course that could be conflicting?

In reply to Emma Richardson

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -

The default is that users have access to User Report and Overview report

But in some courses they can choose among  all reports, also reports students don't have access to in the first place.

In the course admin the student has access to Gradebook Setup. When that is choosen all reports are shown, also reports the student has no access to.

I cannot find any place to control the students access to reports in each course. 

--

It seems to me that there is a bug here in the course paramter setting. At least I have no idea on how to access these course parameter setting.

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by John Provasnik -

and to piggy back off of Emma, do you know if in those courses that the student role was modified, even if unintentionally? 

If you go to one of those courses permission settings, it will show a number next to the student role to tell you how many course-level overrides there have been to the student role. 

by Skule Sormo -

Students permissions setting report for courses not showing grade book  shows that grades can be shown. But an error occurs when gradebook is requested.

So that is not an issue explaining that gradebook for the student in the paritcular couses where gradebook is not shown. The students role for courses seems not to be different on the courses.

--

An additional discovery is that participians in the courses are shown to the student in spite of that the paramenter settings is set in a way that this should not happen. It seems to me that the parameter settings in Moodle is too complicated, allowing too many errors to occur in the configurations management.

by Skule Sormo -

Can't see that there is any changes in student roles in courses.

Don't know where to look for' the number next to student role'. Where do I find that? In Course administration or Site Administration?
Please give some detail info of how to look for it.

by Skule Sormo -

There ar bo Course Permission Setting anyware as far I can see.

Please be more spesific of what you mean...

There is no number next to the student role in the user listing of the course.

In addition, do not understand what you mean by 'course-level overrides'..

Looking forward to your reply..

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by John Provasnik -

Course Administration - Users - Permissions

Then in the dropdown box, look for student: 

If gradebooks have never worked on your site, then it may have been modified and might need to have the student role reset...

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -

There is no 'Permissions' in User configuration settings.

The options shown are

Enrolled Users

Groups

Other Users

This is from the latest version of Moodle.

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Grades not shown for studens

by Skule Sormo -

Problem solved..

Permissions are accessable in the Navigation Participants options.

There there are an option in the Pariticicants menu (the right-hand side of the screen)  to set the user permittions for the course.

Choosing 'Student'  and set the 'View Grader report' to 'Prohibit', the correct gradebook appears for the students ('User report' and 'Overview report'