Security and privacy

Backup policy

You either love it or you hate it
Backup policy

I have a rather large 7TB Moodle data folder to back up on a regular basis, twice a day, 7 days a week, 5 times a month 13 times in ayear etc.

Now this is massive, its a moodle 1.9 installation that has had its data extracted and placed in to Moodle 3.4 installation.

Anyway, when I programatically back up all my elements is there a way of excluding /moodledata/cache, /moodledata/localcache, /moodledata/sessions, /moodledata/temp, or /moodledata/trashdir

As this will improve the performance and size of each moodledata folder considerably

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Backup policy
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sounds like a job for progressive with delete rsync only on the filedir directory of moodledata to a large archive drive.

First dry run to see how long and how large.   Then run for real.   First run will take a long time and acquire it all, but progressive with delete from that point on would update the 'backup' with only files that are new and the 'delete' would compare what's in filedir with what is archived and if a flie has been deleted in filedir, the same file would be deleted in the rsync'd drive.

See man rsync.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Matteo Scaramuccia
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi ALbert,

is there a way of excluding /moodledata/cache, /moodledata/localcache, /moodledata/sessions, /moodledata/temp, or /moodledata/trashdir

you may not exclude moodledata/trashdir since, by Moodle File API design, you have 4 days to automatically recycle it back into the Moodle storage: having configured cron will take care of that folder within that time range and ideally that folder will be "almost empty" on average week by week.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
You either love it or you hate it

Ok, I have a little more information now, we are using enterprise MySQL which includes Enterprise backup which is incredibly quick. I mean hours to minutes over MySQLdump

We can exclude anything from the backup, so I think I need a reliable list of directories that we can exclude to get the size down. We are at 7TB at the moment and I am trying to talk the education team out of automatic courses backups. We keep 7 and they really should be turned off as I have pointed out they are not and shouldnt be part of an emergency backup policy, only full site backups should be for that

So what can I exclude?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -