General developer forum

Broken plugins and Enrolment Plugin help

Picture of Merddyn Sheeley
Broken plugins and Enrolment Plugin help

Hi All,

I'm attempting to mod the PayPal Availability Condition plugin (that has PayPal Enrollment bundled with it) in order to make it have a discounted rate. End goal is to be able to have coupons from referring other users, so I figured that a key point to start at was figuring out how to make it charge a reduced rate. (As a note, I have about a week of experience with PHP and none of JavaScript. Most of my knowledge is in C#, C++, and SQL)

However, I've run into a few problems, one of which is critically fatal enough that I can't even continue testing in the test Moodle I set up. Basically, I was trying to narrow down where in the plugin I needed to try messing around with, I edited the view.php file by adding some gibberish print statements and tried to change a variable by multiplying it by .75. Nothing changed from those edits, and when I looked on the server, the view.php file doesn't even exist, even though the page that would be created by the content on it does exist. After a few tries of that, I tried uninstalling the availability_PayPal plugin and installing the original version, but now, the enrol_PayPal plugin that originally installed bundled with it doesn't exist, and no combination of uninstalling and reinstalling plugins has brought it back to existence.

Sadly, I didn't have the sense to make a backup of everything before I did this, because I'd assumed that Moodle would have some kind of system restore to the original install function. I'd rather not have to install a new copy on my server, if nothing else, because I don't want to run into this situation again and have to repeatedly make new Moodles until I figure out what's wrong.

So, key questions are:

A: Any idea why the enrol_PayPal plugin ceased existing and won't come back?

B: Where does the view.php file go for Enrollment plugins?

C: Why don't changes to the view.php file do anything?

D: Is there a way to do a system restore on a particular Moodle? I have other, production Moodles on the same server that I'd rather not screw up getting this one fixed.

E: Any suggestions on how to actually accomplish what I'm trying to build would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Merddyn

Average of ratings: -