Import/Back up empty Quiz but not entire quiz bank

Import/Back up empty Quiz but not entire quiz bank

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hello - I created 6 quizzes that contain no questions. These 6 quizzes have the setting and instructions I want to use in many other courses. However, when I attempt to either back up and restore (or import) these 6 quizzes into another course, the process brings in all the question banks form that original course, which is not what I want. 

I attempted to back up without the question bank option selected, but then I could not select the quizzes. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add these 6 quiz “templates” (no questions in them) into other courses as well as free of the original course’s question banks?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Import/Back up empty Quiz but not entire quiz bank

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Also, a side note - when I try to search the forum to see if this was already answered, I don’t see any advanced search filters (see attached) until after I submit a first search. The problem is the first search takes so long to lead results. I figured I’m missing where to do an initial search that has advanced search options. Would love a pointer on that. Thanks. 

Attachment 34D1E5ED-35AA-4D52-A8A6-0A9554685CCB.jpeg

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Leave the search box empty and click, Search forums. You will go immediately to the advanced search page.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Been a while since I used it, due to retirement, but I seem to remember that the Sharing Cart plugin can do what you want. When you set it up to appear on, Any type of course main page, it will show up in any course, but only when in Edit mode. I used to maintain a hidden course of nothing but templates of all types of activities, such as quizzes. Sharing Cart then made it so that any of the sample templates was available throughout the Moodle site, with just a couple of clicks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

In your case the easiest thing, might be to make a copy of the course with the quiz and questions, and then delete all of the question from the copied course. You can then copy the quizzes from there into other courses.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, Daniel has the best current solution.  Currently, you cannot back up and restore a quiz without the question bank.  Sharing cart will also import the question bank, I believe.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)