Assignment

Download all submissions in all assignments in the site

Wellingtonia Tree
Re: Download all submissions in all assignments in the site

Hi

it was an annual event and I'm trying to kill it because Moodle is now too large to be doing that sensibly and the assignment tool too popular.

We abandoned cloning it this year because I don't have the skill set to convert a MySQL database to a Microsoft SQL database - hence get the data out.

So basically not a migration - brand new install instead. An opportune time to get rid of the clutter!

I have seen the idea - new year new Moodle, which if we stay on windows would be doable, but really how much data can we support? At the minute we tend to keep live and the last academic year and that's it, but should we have more?

Now looking to the future what I would dearly like to know is what is everybody else doing to meet the needs of keeping assessment data that went into Moodle for the unspecified length of time that an awarding body might want it for and just to top it off - yes currently we are in the EU and have signed up to GDPR. This however is a question for a whole new post and a different forum I suspect!

I think it will have to be visit each and every assignment for this year and have a better plan for next.

Thank you

Heather

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you have enough space to setup an automated backup run saving course backups as full (including users, assignments, etc.) to a designated area .... NOT the sea of files in moodledata/filedir/   Designated area could be a mount point to some large archival server you have internally.

When a student/or whomever request info concerning a course/grades/assignments info etc. restore the course to a locally installed Windows version that's the same as current on the linux box.

Just in case of the unfortunate event you cannot kill this practice, think it would be an exercise for the Windows IT staff supporting you to see what could be done on that platform.

The reason I mentioned GDPR, one could use that, I think, to generate what you might need for an individual student.  Right now that exports into json files, but, according to Moodle HQ and brief discussion on outputs that any student could use, working on that in future updates to 3.5.

Best of luck!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Wellingtonia Tree

Hi

thank you. Hadn't thought about the GDPR tool for extracting. Might be useful in the future.

I do have space and I have used Moosh to run backups of all the courses, so I have that.

Regards

Heather