Competencies: Activity Grade based on "Complete the competency" and Completion Tracking

Competencies: Activity Grade based on "Complete the competency" and Completion Tracking

by Tonia Malone -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings,

We have Moodle 3.4.2.

We would like an activity (assignment) automatically set "competent" for a competency when conditions are meant.

Please see this video for my full question, the setup of the course, student view and admin view.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cF1UrtFZvw

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Tonia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tonia Malone

Re: Competencies: Activity Grade based on "Complete the competency" and Completion Tracking

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
  • What are your default values for competent and proficient in the competency scale used in the framework? 
  • And presumably the competencies are only used in the one course?
  • What do students see when they click on their learning plans and view their competencies?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Competencies: Activity Grade based on "Complete the competency" and Completion Tracking

by Tonia Malone -

Mary,

This is helpful and I believe got it, but when I recreated on our 2018-2019 test system, I am still not seeing "competent".

1) I can't seem to change the Levels on the current framework.

So I Exported and modified the .csv file to add "default = competent"

then imported it into the 2018-2019 Test system.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFinrUFO7X 

Do you need the course completion Date enabled and does it have to be "complete" - pass the date?  On the 2017-2018 system when I added a NEW Framework with the Default + competent settings, it automatically changed.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFinrpFO7m

Thank you,

Tonia

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tonia Malone

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not convinced the end date is significant in the competencies being able to be completed: I think the key is that the default values are competent and proficient, so that when a competency is automatically met it shows as competent. I think it is also significant if you have the same competency in more than one course then it won't show as competent within a course to a teacher who only has a course-specific view, but it might show as met to a manager with an overall view. One issue with competencies is that course teachers don't get the full view -for example if others rate competencies elsewhere, they won't show up as complete in the course. (See Competencies FAQ Are you using learning plans?

In your second video, are the competencies in just the one course? The one that shows up as met - is that in just one course?

I think there are a lot of variables going on here; hopefully others will have some thoughts as well.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tonia Malone -

"I think it is also significant if you have the same competency in more than one course then it won't show as competent within a course to a teacher who only has a course-specific view,"

If the goal is to have one Framework for all courses in a department (Construction Management), so many courses using the same competencies - Is there a better way to do this?

The department would want to have a quick view of what courses are meeting what competencies and which students are not.

The instructor would want to see which students are meeting each competency within their course.

Students would want to see if they have met the competency.

There are so many steps. It only takes one to mess up the whole thing. When I think I get all the steps and test it, it isn't working.  So is it something I am missing or is the tool not made to do this?

Tonia

In reply to Tonia Malone

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Competencies should reflect the specific course objectives. Once a competency is earned, the student will not be required to complete any other course that awards the competency.

Each course that you need a student to complete in their learning plan must have a unique competency-course relationship.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Tonia Malone -

Shirley,

"Each course that you need a student to complete in their learning plan must have a unique competency-course relationship"

So if Construction Management has 50 courses and they all use the competency "Critical Thinking", I would need to create an individual (50) competency for each course?

How would I manage that? And I assume that is also for each quarter. So with 4 quarters, I am now talking about 200 - Critical Thinking competencies for CM.

Did I understand that correctly?

Tonia

In reply to Tonia Malone

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Your Construction Management course sounds like an apprentice program which has many courses the employee is required to complete in order to achieve apprenticeship.

I have in the past created the 50 unique course elements, with unique competencies for each of the required skills. The Construction Management can be a certificate that requires the 50 competencies.

I would not create one course with 50 elements.

I might even consider breaking down the 50 elements into sub-categories - to keep the learners engaged with the apprentice process.

The each quarters question needs some additional clarification from you. Do you have new employees each quarter for the same 50 courses? If so, just use cohort sync for the next quarters enrollment to the same 50 courses.