New 3.5.0 APP does not display properly or load courses

Re: New 3.5.0 APP does not display properly or load courses

by Graham Treadwell -
Number of replies: 25

Hi Dani

How can I send the file to you – it is 45MB!

Regards

Graham

From: Dani Palou (via Moodle.org) [mailto:noreply@moodle.org]
Sent: 04 July 2018 17:41
To: Graham Treadwell <treadwellinbkk@gmail.com>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: New 3.5.0 APP does not display properly or load courses

Picture of Dani Palou

by Dani Palou - Wednesday, 4 July 2018, 5:10 PM

Hi Graham,

thank you for the info.

Yes, please send us a backup to mobile@moodle.com so we can take a look. I'm not sure if the email has an attachments size limit, maybe you need to use WeTransfer or a similar tool.

Regarding the errors while replying, did you attach anything when answering via email? The forum has restrictions regarding the number of attachments in a post, and the error message suggests the error is related to that.

Kind regards,

Dani

You can reply to this via email.

In reply to Graham Treadwell

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Graham,

the forum should support 2 attachments with a max size of 500KB. Maybe it's a bug when replying via email.

Regarding sending the file, you can use WeTransfer since the file is lower than 2GB. Please make sure not to include user data in the backup since it isn't legal to share that data with us smile

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

Two mails sent on wetransfer

Please confirm receipt.

Graham

From: Dani Palou (via Moodle.org) [mailto:noreply@moodle.org]
Sent: 04 July 2018 18:59
To: Graham Treadwell <treadwellinbkk@gmail.com>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: New 3.5.0 APP does not display properly or load courses

Picture of Dani Palou

by Dani Palou - Wednesday, 4 July 2018, 6:28 PM

Hi Graham,

the forum should support 2 attachments with a max size of 500KB. Maybe it's a bug when replying via email.

Regarding sending the file, you can use WeTransfer since the file is lower than 2GB. Please make sure not to include user data in the backup since it isn't legal to share that data with us smile

Kind regards,

Dani

You can reply to this via email.

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Graham,

we received the file. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to reproduce and fix the issue smile

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani,

I received a reply from you with instructions to use Chrome on another website and send results to you.

I can confirm that my Moodle website runs version 3.4.3.

The Moodle desktop webpage that you sent me is VERY slow to.load.

I tried yesterday and it is still slow this morning.

Regards 

Graham 

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

I got your mobileapp website to open.

I entered exactly the same detail for my website that I enter in the Moodle APO (excluding http) 

materdei.gnomio.com/

but got the response

Oops! We're having trouble connecting to.....

Double check you've entered the address correctly and try again

Regards 

Graham

by Dani Palou -

Thanks Graham,

for security, Chrome doesn't let you connect to http sites if your current page uses https, that's why you see that error. To fix that, you need to install Chromium (I think Chrome doesn't allow disabling this). You can download it from here:

https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

Now you need to open Chromium with these flags:

--allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-running-insecure-content

In Linux/Mac you need to do it from the Terminal/Console:

open -a /Applications/Chromium.app --args --allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-running-insecure-content

In Windows you can add those flags like this:

1. Right click the Chromium shortcut, and select Properties.
  2. At the very end of the Target: text box, add a space and then the desired command line flags. It should end in something like: ...\chromium.exe" --args --allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-running-insecure-content
  3. Double click the shortcut to launch Chromium with the new command line flags.

I'm sorry for giving so much work to you, we used to debug this ourselves but we can no longer do that for privacy reasons sad

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -
Dear Dani

I downploaded Chromium and input this text for the target:

C:\Users\Graham\Documents\chrome-win32\chrome-win32\chrome.exe

-args-allow-file-access-from-files-disable-web-security-user-data-dir-allow-running-insecure-content

When I open the browser it will not give me permission to open my website

saying insecure.

Regards

Graham

Bangkok

*Truth is by nature self-evident.  As soon as you remove the cobwebs of

ignorance that surround it, it shines clear. * Mahatma Ghandi

*In a time of universal deceit, to tell the truth is a revolutionary act.*

George Orwell

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 at 14:15, Dani Palou (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>

by Graham Treadwell -

Dear Dani

This morning the company hosting my school's Moodle website changed up to Moodle 4.4.4.

Immediately, I see this has enabled the picture to display normally on the Front Page of the website.

However, when I click Courses, it does not display the course graphic and only download is available. It then hangs and I get a warning message about trying to download large amounts of data.

The Moodle Classic version works as before without issues.

Regards 

Graham 

by Graham Treadwell -

Correction tion to my previous mailing. The Moodle version is now 3.4.4.

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

The company hosting my Moodle website upgraded to version 3.4.4 this morning.

Immediately, the image of the site Front Page now loads correctly but the images for each of the courses still do not.

The image for each course does not display, only a coloured oblong.  I then only get an option to download the courses. When clicked for download, I get a warning about large data downloads!

When using the Moodle Classic APP, everything works as before, perfectly.

So, it seems to me that there is an issue of compatibility between the new Moodle 3.5.0 APP and the website versions of Moodle?

Regards

Graham

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

The company hosting my Moodle website upgraded to version 3.4.4 this morning.

Immediately, the image of the site Front Page now loads correctly but the images for each of the courses still do not.

The image for each course does not display, only a coloured oblong.  I then only get an option to download the courses. When clicked for download, I get a warning about large data downloads!

When using the Moodle Classic APP, everything works as before, perfectly.

So, it seems to me that there is an issue of compatibility between the new Moodle 3.5.0 APP and the website versions of Moodle?

Regards

Graham

by Dani Palou -

Hi Graham,

thank you for the update.

The course images should be seen ok in Moodle 3.4, but not the "patterns" that are displayed in web if there's no course image. So if you have a custom image in your course you should see it in the app too, if you don't have an image you should see a "pattern" in web (browser) and a plain color in the app. Can you please verify that you have custom images set in the courses and that those images are displayed in web but not in the app?

On the other hand, we changed the way to access course participants and other options, now they're no longer accessible from the list of courses. You can open the course by clicking on the course name or in the course image. Once inside the course, you'll see at the top a set of tabs with Participants and so (these tabs are scrollable). Now in the list of courses you can only download the course.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

I have a small jpg image inserted in text of the course name for each course.

This displays normally inall web browsers and in Moodle Classic. I can see all courses displayed and select the one I want.

In the new Moodle APP 3.5.0., when I click My Courses, I see the name of the course but without the jpeg image I inserted in the text. I see a solid block coloured shape and a download button which is of no help since it just starts a never-ending download and the APP locks,

So, how do I now access each course and then selct different lessons within each course?

Regards

Graham

by Dani Palou -

Hi Graham,

how did you add that image to the course name? AFAIK course names cannot have HTML.

Can you send me a screenshot of how courses look like in web (browser), in Moodle Classic and in App 3.5.0?

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

Here is the view from Firefox on my laptop from the website:

Here is the view of the same courses from Moodle Classic:

Here is the same view from the new Moodle APP 3.5.0:

I have also attached tow of them. The system will not allow me to attach the third one.

Regards

Graham

Attachment Classic.png
Attachment website.png
In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

For a third time, here now is the screen view using the new 3.5.0. APP attached

Attachment New APP 350.png

by Dani Palou -

Thanks Graham,

ok, I see you added the images in the course description. The clean theme (the one you're using in web) displays them, but Boost theme doesn't.

In the app we took the same approach as in Boost theme, so we aren't displaying them (this was a design decision). I'll raise this issue to the rest of the Mobile team and the UX team to verify if we want to leave it like this.

As a workaround, you can display those images where the color squares are displayed right now. To do so, you need to add the images to the "Course summary files", like this:

Course summary files screenshot

Regarding accessing the course, you should be able to open the course by clicking the course name (in your screenshot, "Mater Dei Institute 2018 ...") or by clicking the course image / the color square.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

I have deleted the image from the top box, the Course Summary box, and reinserted it in the Course Summary Files box below.

The result now is that the image displays too small on the website because I can no longer control the dimensions of the displayed image when it is loaded via the Course Summary Files box.

I can now see the image on the new 3.5.0. APP but the course files still do not load properly. As before, only the last topic on the course page loads. The course continues to load with the wheel turning on screen but never completes the operation.

Using the Moodle Classic APP, the image is no longer visible but all topics load normally, the same as the website.

Regards

Graham

by Dani Palou -

Thanks Graham,

the course you sent us loaded fine for me, so maybe there's some configuration in your site that causes the issue. Like I said, we used to debug this errors ourselves but we can no longer do that, so I'm gonna need you to debug it for me.

I saw that you weren't able to connect using Google Chrome and the webapp. Can you please try it again with Chromium instead of Chrome? You can download it from here:

https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

Thank you,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi again

I've loaded the special version of the Chromium browser and attemptred to laod the website at materdei.gnomio.com/

It will not allow me to do it!

by Dani Palou -

Hi Graham,

did you open Chromium with these flags?

--allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-running-insecure-content

In a previous post you said that you ran this command:

C:\Users\Graham\Documents\chrome-win32\chrome-win32\chrome.exe -args-allow-file-access-from-files-disable-web-security-user-data-dir-allow-running-insecure-content

You should do the same but with the Chromium executable instead of Chrome. Alternatively, you can do this:

1. Close Chromium.
  2. Right click the Chromium shortcut, and select Properties.
  3. At the very end of the Target: text box, add a space and then the desired command line flags. It should end in something like: ...\chromium.exe" --args --allow-file-access-from-files --disable-web-security --user-data-dir --allow-running-insecure-content
  4. Double click the shortcut to launch Chromium with the new command line flags.
Hopefully it will work now.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Dani

I downloaded and extracted the software but in the shortcut to it, it is chrome.exe not chromium.exe

C:\Users\Graham\Downloads\chrome-win32(1)\chrome-win32\chrome.exe

When I try replacing the string in the target box with your suggested string it says target invalid. I think because the downloaded browser is chrome.exe not chromium.exe

Regards

Graham

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

How Graham,

yes, it seems they renamed it recently, just replace chromium.exe with chrome.exe and try if you can connect.
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Juan

When I try to connect to the website it says Oops! Something went wrong...

Regards 

Graham