General developer forum

Create Custom Content to Display in Middle Section of a Page

Picture of Edgar N
Create Custom Content to Display in Middle Section of a Page

What is the most appropriate method to create content located in the middle (main) section? I want to create a link that leads to a custom form I created. I want this custom form to be within Moodle so I can access the Moodle tables (student names, etc.)

My first thought was to try a block plugin and display the block in the middle but the option to display the block in the middle is not listed in the block configuration.

According to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=253566 this is because the theme controls where a block can be placed. If this is true,  how can this be edited to allow middle placement? Right now I am using a clone I made of the boost theme.

Even if I could get the block to display in the middle section, is this the most appropriate method? Is there a different plugin type that is better suited to display custom content in the middle section and not as a small square on the sides of the page? 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Create Custom Content to Display in Middle Section of a Page
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

You could edit your theme to enable additional regions. For example Handlebar theme has several regions as pop up (modal) regions and also a 'top bar'.

The top bar is similar to what you want, but actually goes across the top of both the main column and the sidebar, but you could take that and amend it slightly, bringing it into the main content area rather than across the top of everything.

Another alternative might be to create your plugin as an activity/resource (mod) rather than a block. Then you could add that activity into any content section.

Average of ratings: -