After weeks, I found the solution to my original problem shortly after posting here so I won't need to go with a backup plan. I guess all I needed to do was post here. Extra relieved considering your opening line to the reply was "No! It's way more complicated than that. ".
Thank you for replying and the offer to go down the rabbit hole with me.
Hi I know this is an old thread, but if you may, are able to share your findings? I am stuck in the same dilemma.
No, Howard's 2018 reply to the original question remains. The issue is that a course ID is used in many, many tables in the Moodle database and things will get really messed up if you try to reuse or reassign an ID number.
But, you might try this.
- Do not delete the course, just delete all the content in the course (resources and activities)
- Delete all the users in the course.
- In the course settings - rename the course and the course start date, along with any other details you want to change.
- Rebuild the course with your new content.
- The course ID number should remain the same.