Password in install process

Password in install process

by Mike Hall -
Number of replies: 7

I'm a newbie here but willing to learn smile ...

There is plenty of evidence here that the install process frequently breaks at the New Password phase. Can anyone shed any light on why the password is done this way? Do the benefits of this method outweigh the frequent grief found in this forum topic? Is the problem broken paths to required Javascript files?

The broken CSS on the installation page seems to frequently accompany the password problem.

Are these problems about initially broken filepaths or query strings?

Just wonderin'

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Hall

Re: Password in install process

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Mike - I'm sorry, I've got absolutely no clue what you are talking about here. What's a "New Passport phase"?  What "forum topic"?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mike Hall -
What i mean is that when I installed Moodle 3.5, the process stalled on editadvanced.php, which had no CSS applied to it and where the New Password link (add a password) did not work. For example, see the screenshots from another user with the same problem in this recent post:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=372259

What I mean is that this error, or similar errors, seem common enough. I was just wondering why new admin passwords are added in this way (instead of using a simple text input box), and also what is behind these problems ... is it that CSS and/or JS files are missing at that point?

Sorry, I hope that is a bit clearer.
In reply to Mike Hall

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So common that I don't recall seeing this particular problem before. But the lack of all page elements loading correctly is certainly quite common - but not restricted to this page. 

If the page isn't displaying properly then there is a problem to be fixed. If it doesn't catch up with you now it certainly will soon. This is almost certainly caused by a server configuration issue. Typically, 'slasharguments' not being configured. This is particularly an issue if you use nginx as extra configuration is always required. 

by Mike Hall -

Here's a couple of similar examples:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=362794
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=329482

But anyway, I suppose that because I'm using Nginx and Googled that particular issue, I got the impression that it was relatively common.

But thanks for the info.

In reply to Mike Hall

by Howard Miller -

I assume you found the instructions for nginx in the docs? - Nginx

by Mike Hall -

Yes, the docs solved the problem. I just wanted to better understand the "why" behind it as I want to automate the server install and config process.