Quiz with recommendations upon completion

Quiz with recommendations upon completion

by Abdallah Ar -
Number of replies: 10

Hello All,

I would like to know if I can deploy the following quiz in moodle:

The quiz upon completion (by the student) will show the student the chapters that he/she needs to read in order to succeed the quiz.

More generally, given a quiz, a list of chapters (or skills) , a link between questions and chapters (or skills), upon completion the quiz shows the recommended chapters (or skills) based on some conditions in the quiz (e.g. failed in at least 50% of questions related to a chapters or a skill, etc..).

We can put as many sophisticated conditions as we want.

Is it possible to perform this within moodle? otherwise is there a plugin for that? if it is not the case, do you have any ideas about how I can implement this in moodle?

Bests,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abdallah Ar

Re: Quiz with recommendations upon completion

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. I suggest you add the recommendations in the quiz feedback, where you can add comments based on the percentages students obtain. I'm sure others will have other suggestions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Abdallah Ar -

What I want is a dynamic feedback that changes with respect to the answers of the student. So, I'm not looking for a global static feedback regarding the total grade.

In reply to Abdallah Ar

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Abdallah,

What you're describing sounds like a sort of conditional branching within a Quiz, correct? Making the feedback per question or number of questions conditional so users get a more tailored feedback based on their results?

How big is the quiz you're using? And is it possible to split the quiz into a number of smaller ones, that are subsequently made accessible with Restrict access rules?

If this is possible, I'd build something like this:

• Quiz 1 (5 questions, each with question/answer specific feedback) with general feedback for 2 or 3 grade levels.
  • Quiz 2 (5 questions, each with question/answer specific feedback) with general feedback for 2 or 3 grade levels.
  • Quiz 3 (5 questions, each with question/answer specific feedback) with general feedback for 2 or 3 grade levels.

Add links to the correct quiz in the sequence of quizzes in the general feedback bit for each grade margin (0 - 40% retakes Quiz 1, 41-75% goes to Quiz 2, 76-100% goes to Quiz 3).

Other than that, I wouldn't know how to make the Quiz do what you want... but I'm interested in more insights and ideas. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Abdallah Ar -

Hello Joost,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Could you please elaborate more on the conditioning or give me a link to a documentation?

I'll lay down clearly my ideas below.

The context: we are a private school and we offer variety of courses. Upon registration, the student should pass an orientation test for the specialization he/she want to take. For instance, specialization on "Office 2013/2016", the student will pass a test then the system shows what are the skills that he/she lacks ("Filters in Excel", "Queries in Access", etc.) and the chapters/courses ("Chapter 2 : Filters", "Chapter 4: queries in Access") that he/she is recommended to take. From this result we will know her/his level and we can attribute courses accordingly. 

Let me give some insights, first the general one then the most specific ones. These are ideal insights and their solutions may not exist in moodle to my current knowledge.

General: The most convenient way in my opinion is through the quiz activity (or an extended one). I create a new course called "Orientation Test", then I group questions with respect to a skillset, the student takes the whole quiz and finally I check whether for a given skillset a grade threshold is met (60% correct answers and the like). So the general feedback returned to the student upon completion is:

1. The skills he/she lacks.
  2. The skills he/she has.
  3. The courses or chapters that he/she needs to pursue. 

Specific: I create a course that is similar to my specialization, i.e. sections correspond to courses and sub-sections correspond to chapters and the description holds the skillset, then for each subsection I put a quiz activity of N questions, then if the student doesn't pass the activity of this subsection then she/he is recommended to take the corresponding chapter or the whole course.

Very Specific: in this case the orientation test will be for a specific course not a specialization. For instance, each section is a chapter of my course, and the skill is considered missing (or acquired) if the student fails (or succeed) the activity of that section.

I hope this clears things out. What do you think?

In reply to Abdallah Ar

by Sam Mudle -

More generally, given a quiz, a list of chapters (or skills) , a link between questions and chapters (or skills), upon completion the quiz shows the recommended chapters (or skills) based on some conditions in the quiz (e.g. failed in at least 50% of questions related to a chapters or a skill, etc..).

We can put as many sophisticated conditions as we want.

Is it possible to perform this within moodle? otherwise is there a plugin for that? if it is not the case, do you have any ideas about how I can implement this in moodle?

Have you looked at using the Lesson activity?

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Abdallah Ar -

No not yet, I'll try and give you a feedback.

In reply to Abdallah Ar

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Abdallah,

You might be able to come close to what you want with the Generico filter. Before I retired, I created a couple of filter bundles that randomly provided different feedback after a quiz. One was for a perfect score and the other was for any other passing grade. Each one had a simple "case" switch that selected from ten possible feedback texts. Made it so that students didn't get the "same old" feedback after a quiz. When creating a quiz, all I had to do was set up the quiz overall feedback with at least two grade boundaries. One for a perfect score and one for any other passing grade. I then placed the appropriate filter in the actual text area for the feedback, and after the quiz the students would see one of the ten possible feedback texts.

Since I also had filter bundles for inserting their names I could even personalize the feedback for each student.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Sam Mudle -

Can you post that filter here or in your generic forum?

In reply to Sam Mudle

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Here they are. They are pretty much both the same. A randomly selected case switch set to change the "feedback praise" to one of ten possible phrases. I placed mine in the Quiz Overall feedback. Perfect_score was used for a grade boundary of 100%. Moderate_score was used for a grade boundary from 80% to 99%. I also sometimes added other Generico filters to further personalize the feedback, usually simply by using a filter that added their names.

Note that if you are reviewing quiz results and you reload the page, the feedback will again randomly select another feedback to show on the refreshed page.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Abdallah Ar -

Hello AL Rachels

Thanks for the comment. That seems very interesting, it perfectly fits my needs. I'll try it and give you some feedback.