Wiki

Wiki pages are not enough

Picture of olivier dechepy
Wiki pages are not enough

Hi, i'm new to Moodle and i have to set up a Moodle instance for our organization.

I'm very confused about the Wiki activity : it looks more like a website, with pages, than a actual wiki.

You have all the pages management of a wiki with revisions, comments... but what is very useful in a wiki (like Wikipedia for instance) is the  ability to add a revision to a block INSIDE a page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_Gauss

In a collaborative learning process, this is useful because a page can be built and edited bit by bit by different students, and is also easier for the teacher to grasp the whole content instead of having to check all pages.

Also, this way, i can print the whole Wiki in one page without using non official plugins.

So my question are : 

- is there a reason why there are no page block management with revision ?

- I haven't seen this feature in the Plugin section. Did i missed it ?

Using Moodle 3.5 without extra plugin

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: Wiki pages are not enough
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

No, you're right, the Moodle Wiki is not always a good option, IMNSHO. Sure it does the job asked of it, but it is just not a full Wiki. It is designed to be a part of Moodle, therefore is coded as such, following the adopted Moodle Theme and adhering to Moodle's rules. There is the OU Wiki plugin, that might be better, but might not meet your need either. 

Best bet is to download and install MediaWiki on the same server as your Moodle. There was a MediaWiki SSO plugin, but that has not been properly maintained for more recent versions of Moodle, perhaps you could download that and update it, if you have PHP skills. Then you might consider integrating the two, but I don't know what kind of job that is going to be. Good luck. 

Picture of olivier dechepy

Thank you for your answer and explanation.

I'll take a look at the plugin / third party software you mentionned.

Cheers

Picture of S Moodle
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Best bet is to download and install MediaWiki on the same server as your Moodle.

Is there anyway to support single sign on between moodle and MediaWiki?

Picture of Dave Sherwin
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I do not know if this will help or is what you are asking for, but we use the Paragraph Style <h1> and other heading styles to build the Table of Contents to jump to that section of the  wiki page and also gives users [edit] capabilities at each paragraph style heading on that single wiki page. Example below:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)