Tutors keep receiving email notifications of discussions they are not part of

Tutors keep receiving email notifications of discussions they are not part of

by pgmoodle dundee -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everyone

In a module we have quite a lot of private discussions, each one consisting of a tutor and a student.  All tutors can access the private discussions, however students can only access their own discussion.  

We have an issue that a tutor keeps receiving email notifications of new forum posts in the various discussions.  

We are trying to find out why a tutor is receiving these notifications even though they have not participated in these discussions at all? 

The forums are set to 'auto subscribe' but this should only affect students?  

In the list of subscribers for each forum, all tutors are listed.  

Is there something that i need to modify in the role? A specific setting?  At the moment the workaround is to remove tutors from each of the forums via the subscription list. 

Kind regards

Usman

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pgmoodle dundee

Re: Tutors keep receiving email notifications of discussions they are not part of

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hello Usman,

In an Automatic subscription, everyone is initially subscribed but can unsubscribe. The subscription setting affects all users, not just students. You can make use of "Forced subscription" and remove the initially subscribed capability from the Teacher role, but I would not recommend this as it prevents students from unsubscribing.

I would recommend the following instead:

1. create one group per student + staff combination;
  2. place each of these new groups in a grouping;
  3. create one forum for all users (rather than one per combination): under "Common module settings", set the Group mode to "Separate groups", and set the grouping to the one you created in step 2.

This works best when the staff members are non-editing teachers. Since Moodle 3.2 (I think) the Non-editing teacher role does not have the "Access all groups" capability. This means that they can only see the groups that they are a member of, and they can only see the forum posts and discussions for their own groups.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Average of ratings: Useful (1)