Teaching with Moodle

Image captioning plug-in?

Picture of Mike Hall
Image captioning plug-in?

I teach IT training courses and am looking for a way that students can upload screenshots of configuration files, CLI command output etc, and add a comment to/about the image. This as part of submitting assessment evidence.

The closest thing I can find in a standard install is the Essay question type in a Quiz.

Anything I've missed, or anything else out there?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Image captioning plug-in?
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Does the assignment not suit your purposes? Allow text and file upload?

Picture of Mike Hall

Assignment sort of fits, like the Quiz Essay, and I have used it frequently (usually with the images embedded in the uploaded document).

However, all I really need in addition to the images  is some short plain text notes and sometimes a code or command snippet.

I would prefer this data to be typed directly into Moodle without the need for intermediary Word or PDF docs and what have you, or all the formatting and pseudo-desktop publishing that goes with it.

It would be nice if the images and comments were tidily displayed together a bit like a pin board.

Edited for clarity.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Well I tried with the assignment as mentioned before, with both text and file upload enabled - in fact even with submission comments enabled - and it displayed ok for me as the teacher, when grading individual assignments (See below) I guess an alternative would be a database with image and text entries. As long as you set the database entries to always needing moderation and never moderate them they remain private between the teacher and the student.

Picture of Mike Hall

That looks great, I have not seen Assignment used that way before. Usually

we only use it to drop pre-existing DOC or PDF documents into.

I will try this out as soon as I get a chance, can one Assignment handle

multiple images in this way? My students are documenting hands-on processes

and could 10 images or more.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 23:53 Mary Cooch (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>

Mary Cooch

I don't see why not. You could try it out as a teacher and student in our School demo site which has ready made users and courses - just make an assignment as a teacher, and try it as the student and see how it goes. School.demo.moodle.net (I would try soon after the hour before anyone else goes on the site and changes things. You will have at least 45 minutes to experiment.)

Picture of Mike Hall

Thanks again Mary, I have my own Moodle 3.5 installation to work with so

all good.

On 19 June 2018 at 08:14, Mary Cooch (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>