Grid Format won't apply - Course Shell Appears

Grid Format won't apply - Course Shell Appears

by FP NSW -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I have an archived course which is currently in Grid Format, I backed it up and restored it to its appropriate category. Since the course was actually used we got a new course format that all courses use (before my time) so when you create a new course its always in Collapsed Topics and with certain colours. So when I restored the old course it appears in the current course format, which is unappealing, so I though I would just edit course settings and chose Grid Format and save, but it just bounces back to the collapsed format. Is the new course settings on a site wide level? Where can I see this to change it? I just want this one course to be as it once was Grid Format, and not have the new course settings apply to it, is it possible? I don't want to change and effect how everything else appears. Thanks guys

Yikes - I just found - Course Default Settings - but it seems its all or nothing here, is that right? It means I can't have courses with different course formats? Can I just duplicate this course and keep its course settings?

We use: Moodle 3.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to FP NSW

Re: Grid Format won't apply - Course Shell Appears

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In site admin, you can select what course formats are available.  I suspect however, you have not installed the grid format...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by FP NSW -

It is installed and enabled I have already checked the Plugins overview and I have purged all caches. I can see the default is set to collapsed topics, in course default settings I can see the default, but surely this doesnt restrict you to only one format and it cannot be changed...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by FP NSW -

I included a screenshot of my Grid Format plugin overview. Could it be that its not compatible with the Moodle we currently have? I understand a few months ago we upgraded to 3.3.  I don't know if this means all the plugins were upgraded at the same time. When I check the Grid Format plugin for Moodle 3,3 it says 

Course formats: Grid Format

Release 3.3.0.5

Moodle 3.3

But the one I have installed says 3.1.1.1 but i always thought this doesnt really matter...am I way off?

It is installed and enabled I have already checked the Plugins overview and I have purged all caches. I can see the default is set to collapsed topics, in course default settings I can see the default, but surely this doesnt restrict you to only one format and it cannot be changed...

Attachment grid.png
In reply to FP NSW

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It can matter - depending on the plugin, and in the case of Grid format, where Gareth puts so much work into creating versions compatible with each version of Moodle, it probably does.

Your first step with any issue with a plugin should be to ensure you have the correct plugin version for your Moodle version.

So

1. Update Grid to the correct version

2. Check whether a new course will accept Grid format and whether the issue applies to all courses, or just restored ones

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by FP NSW -

Hi Richard,

Grid Format also doesn't work when I create a new course, so it applies to all courses, new and restored. Is upgrading this plugin simply about uninstalling the one I currently have and then installing the version most appropriate to our Moodle?

In reply to FP NSW

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you say bounces back to collapsed format, are you getting confused with the one section per page course layout setting value?  Also, you MUST use the correct version of the Grid Format for the version of Moodle you are using, I would not have gone to all the effort on the plugin downloads list otherwise.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by FP NSW -

Hi Gareth,

I was taught that plugin version doesn't necesarily correlate with Moodle version. Anyway, it was a version issue. The plugin required an update and now everything is fine. Thank you everyone for your help. 

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by FP NSW -
This is not extremely important, but I noticed other people had the same problem. When I restored the course and finally got Grid Format working, all the images in the grids did not appear, so I went to the original course and try to retrieve the images from the archived course and I couldn't. So, that's a small issue I noticed.