Release quiz answers to students who did not attempt quiz

Release quiz answers to students who did not attempt quiz

oleh Justin Fowler -
Jumlah balasan: 15

I'm working with an instructor who has a course with weekly quizzes. Each quiz has an open and close date. At the end of the course there is a final exam.

The final exam includes some questions from the weekly quizzes. The instructor would like to make the quiz answers available to all students after the quiz has closed, so that they can be used as a study resource. This works fine for students who previously attempted the quiz; they are able to review their attempt and see the correct answers after the quiz closes. However, students who skipped a quiz are unable to review the quiz answers after the quiz has closed because there is no attempt generated for the student to review.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem before? The best solution I can find is to create a separate document for each quiz that includes all of the questions and answers, and then publish that document in each week's section, using the "restrict access" feature to hide the document until after the quiz has closed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rata-rata penilaian: -
Sebagai balasan Justin Fowler

Re: Release quiz answers to students who did not attempt quiz

oleh Richard Oelmann -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Plugin developers Gambar dari Testers

Sounds like an ideal situation to encourage engagement with those weekly quizes! senyum

Perhaps rather than a technical solution, simply reinforcing in class that taking part will open those as study resources, not just as a task to do then and there.

Possibly then open the answers after the student has completed, rather than after its closed, then dont put a close date on each quiz - allow the students to go back and redo the quiz any time as part of that study resource, and if they haven't engaged during the intended week, they can still go back and do it later or can have multiple attempts to really use it as a study guide/practice etc.

oleh James Steerpike -

So some students are skipping the weekly quiz and you want to create a separate study guide just for them?

Why would students who ignore quizzes bother to look at a study guide?

oleh Tim Hunt -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Documentation writers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Peer reviewers Gambar dari Plugin developers

Certainly pay attention to the other people who replied. You don't want to lose the stron incentive for students to enage with these quizzes.

One thing you can do, for a student who missed out for a good reason (e.g. they were ill for a whole week) is to use user overrides https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Quiz_settings#Group_and_User_overrides to change the close date for one particular student, to give them another change to attempt the quiz.

There is also a long-standing feature request to let students see a review page even if they have not attempted the quiz: MDL-20329. That would be a useful addtion.

oleh Daniel Thies -

One way to handle this with standard Moodle would be to open the quiz after the deadline and add a time limit to the quiz of one second. Unless students are extremely quick they will not be able to gain any points, but would see the general feedback.

Sebagai balasan Daniel Thies

oleh Tim Hunt -
Gambar dari Core developers Gambar dari Documentation writers Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Peer reviewers Gambar dari Plugin developers

That is an ingenious hack, which is pleasing.

But I can't help thinking that implementing the feature properly would be better.

Sebagai balasan Tim Hunt

oleh Daniel Thies -

It would be much nicer if it would be automated, but that should all be possible with an access control plugin since that is all that is being used here. The plugin would need to override end date if the number of attempts is zero and add a redirect to submit immediately.

oleh Tim Hunt -

Have you read MDL-20329?

Sebagai balasan Tim Hunt

oleh Daniel Thies -

I just looked at it. There does seem to be a consensus that something needs to be done, but it is not clear to me what should be done in the core. This seems to be a special case of out previous discussion https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=328970. It is not as much a question of access as of grading. Teachers want to allow access, but not have it affect grade after a specified date

I can try creating a sample plugin for this, but am not sure that is where you want to go.

Sebagai balasan Tim Hunt

oleh Daniel Thies -

I implemented a quiz access rule plugin that adds one review attempt to all quizzes after close date which is submitted immediately https://github.com/dthies/moodle-quizaccess_addreview. It is suitable for testing and discussion.

oleh Tim Hunt -

Neat to have this in a plugin. However, it is not perfect. For example, with this plugin, it will look (e.g. in the gradebook) like the student attempted the quiz and scored 0, even when they did not attempt it. It would be better to keep those cases distinguishable.

But, until this is done 'properly' in core (if it ever is), it is useful to have the plugin.

Your code includes the comment "// This is a hack because get_superceded_rules has a bug." Have you reporte that bug in the tracker? (And possibly even submitted a patch, if you can.)

Sebagai balasan Tim Hunt

oleh Daniel Thies -

The "bug" appears to have been in my code. I can no longer reproduce the problem so I removed my hack. The grade issue is addressed by forcing the attempt to be abandoned instead of submitted so it will not appear in gradebook. I also added a checkbox to the additional restrictions section to enable the rule on selective quizzes. That is all I can see that is feasible to do from the list in MDL-20329 through a plugin.

oleh Christopher Sangwin -
Gambar dari Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar dari Plugin developers

Thank you Daniel,

I really appreciate this.  I hope this can become a core feature.

I don't understand all the subtlies of the Moodle quiz rules etc., but this appears to have the functionality we need. 

In context, I'd rather have students accessing the quizzes after the deadline for review than to be able to distinguish "0" from "-".  That is a rather personal choice.

It is very useful to be able to do this quiz by quiz.

Chris

Sebagai balasan Christopher Sangwin

h Re: Release quiz answers to students who did not attempt quiz

oleh Daniel Thies -

Hello Chris,

Thank you for responding. Understanding the teaching dynamics is very important here. There is not a reason to include this plugin in the core if it does not meet actual use cases properly. We need to identify those as we are best able.

I have used some similar plugins to allow late access to the quiz, but with a reduced grade. You may be more interested in something like that. Unfortunately I have not used them with STACK before and that may have complications since STACK has some additional question behaviour plugins.

I have not yet submitted those plugins to the plugin database because I think more discussion and testing needs to be done. However, they worked well in practice my context. What behaviour precisely do you wish students to experience after the close date?

Daniel

oleh Donna Hrynkiw -

Specific instructions for Daniel's work-around:

After the quiz closing date (for marks), edit the quiz settings:

• Change “Close the quiz” date setting to a date way in the future -- after the end of the course
  • Enable the “Time limit” setting and set it to 1 second
  • Under Review options, enable BOTH “Immediately after the attempt” AND “Later, while quiz is open”
    (“Immediately” covers the 2 minutes immediately after the quiz attempt, and “Later” covers the period from 2 minutes after to when the quiz closes)
  • Save changes