Teaching with Moodle

analysing social behaviours in Moodle using any sort of tools (a second attempt at asking the same question)

Picture of Dom F
analysing social behaviours in Moodle using any sort of tools (a second attempt at asking the same question)

So, as the question says I'm trying to identify any tools that are available in conjunction with Moodle, then allow me to graphically analyse the relationship between users using things like instant messaging or in particular forums.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

There was something called SNAPP a couple of years ago, but that now seems to just link to dodgy websites so snapvis.org is clearly dead and buried

THEN there is something called NodeXL but that does NOT work with Moodle NOR is it for MACs either (so two reasons not to use)

So Im REALLY surprised there are current and ACTIVE tools that do this?

Asking again as the last post got zero replies - and I'm not a quitter!

Thanks

Dom

P.S> have visited moodle analytics but that has had a reply either <sad resigned face>

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: analysing social behaviours in Moodle using any sort of tools (a second attempt at asking the same question)
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Outside of Google analytics, I'm not sure there is a tool that is available that would come close to what you ask for. If there is, then it is more likely to be extremely expensive and possibly targeting specific platforms, e.g. Facebook, like Cambridge Analytics, than a generic catchall for Open Source LMSs. Canvas or BB may offer such analytical tools, but my bet would be they would incur exorbitant additional costs.  

If you know how to use a tool like Geogebra and have some good SQL skills, you might be able to develop a plugin to suit yourself, but then comes the issue of maintaining it. As the database evolves, the APIs change, the data extraction layer changes and it becomes time consuming so likely not worth it. So these are the two issues, cost and time, so without reward, it is unlikely that an inexpensive alternative can be developed.  

Picture of Dom F
Re: analysing social behaviours in Moodle using any sort of tools (a second attempt at asking the same question)

Hi Colin

If its the same Google Analytics used by most sites then unfortunately that software doest do more than say which IP visited what page. 

I need to investigate Moodle analytics in the recent 3X versions more closely but I suspect that although I havent used Geogrbra which is described as an interactive geometry, algebra, statistics and calculus application, intended for learning and teaching mathematics and science from primary schools onwads - wouldnt do the job.

There is the forum graph module, and if all else fails I hope that will - along with Google analytics give SOME measure of social binding and RELATIONSHIPS to the research. Other tools like NodeXL seem better suited to "mainstream" social media.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello both. Would you like to continue the conversation over on the (duplicate) thread Data tools for Moodle 3.x focussed on SOCIAL, FORUMS and RELATIONSHIPS  Thanks smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dom F

Hi Mary If thats a polite request to move the debate then of course. However I feel from a pedagogical point of view that these are actually universally applicable debates and I actually found that compartmentalising the issues into smaller and smaller forum threads resulted in far less debate (not good) AND far fewer replies for that very reason?

Of course as our much value forum mod - whatever you suggest/request is 150% fine (and then some) , but I feel would  mitigate against a wider debate of some currently clearly under-explored issues that I am finding many teachers are not even aware of as "possible"

Again  - please manage as you feel best - but do feel (strongly but ever respectfully this is my ontologically routed thoughts)

Eitherway, very best and thankyou for your ongoing  support of the communities

Dom