Moodle 3.5, Boost and missing Course Overview

Moodle 3.5, Boost and missing Course Overview

by Thomas Hucke -
Number of replies: 0

Hello.

Before upgrading from Moodle 3.4 I am doing some test with the latest 3.5 Moodle release using the boost theme. The advantage of the Boost theme is that per default it offers more screen space, until you decide to add a block which will normally will be put on the right side and takes quite a lot of space. In other templates blocks can be collapsed to the left side, but with Boost this is (unfortunately) not possible.

So, here is my problem. I want that all students use for course enrollment the self-enrolment feature. How do students find the course overview in order to enroll?

• I can create a course block, but that steals screen size and I lose one of the main advantages of the Boost theme.
  • They can go to the Site Home page, but I don’t like this page, because it creates confusion among students. In my opinion it’s a bad idea to return to the login page after being logged in. Students always think that that they have been logged out and don’t know how to return to the Desktop.
  • I can create a course user menu item, but this means I have visible menu items on the left side and (hidden) menu items in the user menu. 

My question is:  Can I create an additional (course) menu item (no block) on the left side, under Dashboard, Site home, Calendar and Private files? BTW, why did they include private files on the right menu (there is also a block available) and no course or navigation item? What is the Site home menu useful anyway? 

I hope, somebody can help me with an idea.

With best regards,

Thomas Hucke

Average of ratings: -