Installing and upgrading help

MS SQL with domain user

Picture of Timár István
MS SQL with domain user

Please halp anybody to connect with Moodle 3.3 with IIS to MS SQL 2012 database with domain user. 

With local user i can connect, but i don't know, how to add domain user format, or what can i to work this.

When i add domain user whit this format:

"exampledomain\mdleapp-01-svc"

i get this error message:

SQLState: 28000
Error Code: 18456
Message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'exampledomain\mdleapp-01-svc'.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Leon Stringer
Re: MS SQL with domain user
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you got SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) installed on your Moodle server? If so have you tried using the exampledomain\mdleapp-01-svc credentials to log in with SSMS to check they work as expected?

Picture of Timár István

Thanks your reply. Yes, I tried whith this, and from SSMS it works, but in Moodle install gui, it doesn't work. Any idea?

Picture of Timár István

Hi, any idea? 

Someone can connect to database with domain user? 

Head
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Have you tried using the FQDN version of the username? i.e. mdleapp-01-svc@exampledomain.com 

Jon

Head
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Have you tried using the FQDN version of the username? i.e. mdleapp-01-svc@exampledomain.com 

Jon

Picture of Timár István

Not worked. I tried this version:

DOMAIN\user

DOMAIN\\user

domain\user

domain\\user

user@domain

user@DOMAIN

The result: "

Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

"

Any idea?

Is anybody, who has working exmaple for domain user, or everybody user SQL local user?

Picture of Matteo Scaramuccia
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Timár,
guessing no one is using the Windows Authentication on MSSQL.

If you want to give it a try, please run your IIS site under the user able to login to MSSQL and do not specify anything as credentials: if both the servers hosting IIS and MSSQL are under the same domain, it should work.

Otherwise, enable the SQL Authentication on your MSSQL, create a SQL Account and use that account for explicitly connecting the Moodle instance to its Database.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Timár István

Hi Matteo!

Thanks for your response! The following solution worked! : 

On Moodle's config file comment out dbuser and dbpass parameters with // char. And on IIS, set in the Sites / Auth module enable anonymous authentication with a specific user, where i set the domain/user.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)