Small Moodle Cloud (80-100 students)

Small Moodle Cloud (80-100 students)

by John Doubleday -
Number of replies: 10

Hi All,

I am interested in trying Moodle Cloud with my students at the school I teach at. Starting small as a Pilot and then building up slowly.

So after I get to 50 students (2 to 3 Classes) I suppose I will have to contact a  Moodle Partner. Is that correct?

I have already created the basic Moodle Cloud version (for 50 students) and it looks to be excellent......although I would love to run H5P.....is that possible on a Moodle Cloud site?

Is there a Moodle Partner willing to deal with a small player as myself. If all goes well it could grow to 700 to 800 student at best.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Doubleday

Re: Small Moodle Cloud (80-100 students)

by Craig R Morton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team

Hi John,

You wouldn't have to move your site to a partner should your site become larger than 50 users. You can upgrade your site to a Moodle for School site easily in your MoodleCloud portal. Please take a look at our pricing page which will give you an idea of prices: https://moodlecloud.com/app/en/

Our Medium package for example caters for up to 500 users.

At the moment it is not possible to install your own plugins, such as H5P, on your MoodleCloud site.

We wouldn't be able to advise on what specific partner best suits your needs, however if you take a look at https://moodle.com/partners/ you will get a list of all our Moodle Partners.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Craig R Morton

by Sam Mudle -

So for a teacher, that would be $500 / year.  Not many teachers have less than 100 students.

I pay HostGator $150 a year and I can install all the plugins I want. Including H5P.  That being said,  a VPS would cost well over $500 a year, so if the speed is amazing, I might try it.  Can we use our own domain?

I'd like to try out a site, but don't want to give you my private phone number. I'm not a big fan of spam. I'm sure you can understand.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Sam Mudle

by John Doubleday -

Hi S Moodle,

Yes I pay a SP about  $600 per year for my own site and he will upload anything I want and updates for free......I LOOOOVE H5P. It makes Moodle into a proper E-Learning Platform....so looks like I cant get H5P in a Moodle Cloud....#UGGER !

Back to the drawing board.....If I can convince my school (which will be impossible) I could build our own sad(

by Sam Mudle -

GoDaddy is offering VPS for $30/mo.  I know a few people who are using it.  

In reply to Craig R Morton

by John Doubleday -

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info.....except for not having H5P...MOODLE CLOUD could be amazing for me .....and just about everyone looking at a basic Moodle.

Is there any way of requesting H5P become a permanent plugin for Moodle Cloud. It really is a no brainier from a teacher/student view point?......If you would like to attract new users to Moodle..... H5P  will do it  

Thanks for the reply.

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can join the Moodle Users Association and request that H5P become a permanent plugin for Moodle.

"By joining the Association you will have a real say in deciding which Moodle features will get implemented next, even if you or your organisation are not developers or don't have enough funds to hire developers."

by Helen Bound -

When you say its a shame Moodlecloud doesnt have H5P? You know that if you create resources from https://h5p.org/ you can embed the code into a Moodle course through adding a label, toggling to HTML code and pasting the embed code. I have used it for interactive videos, matching games etc

Unless I have completely misunderstood your query, which could be likely!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Bound

by John Doubleday -

Thanks for the reply Helen. Yes this had crossed my mind. I thought it was only a tempoary site and our work would get deleted. AM I WRONG? ...because this would be excellent.

In reply to Helen Bound

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
While this might work to display content, as en example of current shortcomings, I don't think this would integrate very well with the gradebook (see MDL-59483 for details of ongoing work).

Mathieu