Teaching with Moodle

Arghgh Copying a questionnaire / quiz between courses should NOT be this difficult?

Picture of Dom F
Arghgh Copying a questionnaire / quiz between courses should NOT be this difficult?

Im really hoping Im doing something wrong.

Have two quizzes / questionnaires in course 1, need (urgently) to copy them to course 2

1. Tried duplicating (fine) then dragging between courses (yes two windows in a browser - how else? Doesnt work)

2. Tried export - got this file and downloaded. backup-moodle2-activity-3183-quiz3183-20180611-1201-nu.mbz tried importing and got this message "The type of the file you selected (application/vnd.moodle.backup) does not match the type expected by this import format (application/xml)" 

<heavy sigh> See the phrasing of my question, at this point...

REALLY hoping this is WAY simpler in Moodle 3 - but for now I live in moodle2.7 land.

Hope you can help?

Dom

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Arghgh Copying a questionnaire / quiz between courses should NOT be this difficult?
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Do you mean a quiz or a questionnnaire? Either way, try https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Import_course_data (for Moodle 2.7)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dom F
Re: Arghgh Copying a questionnaire / quiz between courses should NOT be this difficult?

Hi Mary (what on earth would we do without you??)

Yes I have tried that but see no "Select the elements you want to include in the import in the Schema settings step."   element.

Im shocked there isnt a simple youtube video for idots like me, this is really bothering me - and depressed that I mahev to haul over all the questions one by one as my only recourse. I assume in Moodle 3.x all this polaver is removed?

Picture of Dom F

Hi Mary So by (endless) trial and error ...

I created a brand new empty questionnaire in Moodle 2.7. then clicked add questions and decided I had nothing to loose by stopping there, going over to the left hand menu and choose restore... and somehow with fiddling the questions came in.

I am rather hoping a basic (smoother) functionality is added by Moodle 3.x. I am sure I will find out.

By the way I have posted elsewhere on not being able to post jobs on the Moodle board despite being signed in (as the only requirement to do that - but there is no "add listing tab" as mentioned - not sure if you can help.

D

Picture of Sam Mudle
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dom, have you checked out the Sharing Cart Plugin?  It's made just for this. I've used it to copy quizzes between courses. No need to mess around with backups/restores.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dom F

Oh and I *ALSO* tried importing that back in using the import tool (i think under edit course or edit quiz) but that did diddly squat too. I can NOT see the new quiz in the coruse but I DO NOW worry that I have wioed the course due to this being way to awkward a process to start with *(and wow this is moodle 2.7 not Moodle 1.0)

Will keep chipping away, but may have to resign my self to the bad old days when the only way was to move the questions - which is daft and very "2008"

Picture of Melanie Scott
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you have the same number of topics in the new course that you had in the original?  If you don't, it might work weird, but it should show as orphaned.  I ran a 2.5 site for a while and then a 2.8 for much longer...I think I remember doing this successfully in both.  Have you tried restoring Course 1 as a new course?  OH!  Wait...quiz...are your questions saved in the course question bank or the activity question bank?  If they are in the activity bank, they won't ever copy (you can export them from it and import it in but that doesn't always work as expected).  But if you move them to a course level bank (like the default), they will. 

Questionnaire...I got nothin'...haven't used it since 1.9.  Yeah, you read right, 1.9.  Switched to feedback to simplify when I upgraded.

Picture of Dom F

Sorry I am using Moodle 2.7 - yes would like to upgrade as soon as we find a pro bono theme volunteer as our M3.x site is all ready and waiting for that help!