How to delete user completely

How to delete user completely

by Mohammad kabir -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 3.2.1

Hi,

User has been deleted through Moodle after course completion but in Database user info still exist in table: mdl_user as deleted=1.

According to negotiation, we have to delete users and user info completely from everywhere after complete their course.

How to do that? Is there any parameters in Moodle where we can set when to delete users completely? Thank you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mohammad kabir

Re: How to delete user completely

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Upgrade to Moodle 3.5. 

The new GDPR/Privacy tools will allow accounts to be completely deleted. You can set up privacy policies to automate it too!

You can't do it in 3.2.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mohammad kabir -

Hi Howard,

After upgrade, do I need to download GDPR/Privacy tools? I meant what to do after that?

How to make it automated? 

In reply to Mohammad kabir

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No. The GDPR stuff is included in 3.5. 

Read the documentation. Ask questions when you get confused wink

by Ewan McGhee -

Hello Howard,

Do you know where the setting is to perform a hard delete or obfuscate the user record? I'm using 3.5 with all the GDPR stuff, but when I test it, it just marks the record as deleted and obfuscates the email address - which isn't good enough. The user name could have the email address in it and that is isn't obfuscated, neither are the first and second names of the user.

Also, there shouldn't be any option in my view, it should either hard delete, or obfuscate everything  - it's not GDPR-compliant to have user identifying information after a request to delete. This is making me question whether Moodle is actually GDPR-compliant.

Can you shed any light?

thanks,

Ewan

by Zoran Jančić -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm trying to set a privacy  rule in data registry that will delete users that haven't login to the system for a long time (let's say 1 year). I set the privacy rule, manualy ran the cron but users don't appear on deletion list. I also delete a user in "old fashioned" way, hoping that it will be marked for real deletion and appear on deletion list for permanent deletion approvement but it didn't. Hence, I'm guessing there is no way to delete a user's data from the database except deleting it's record from the database mdl_user table and all realted records in all related tables and that would be really pain to do.

To explain the reason why I'm trying to achieve that… I'm writing a site policy that will inform every user for how long do we keep his personal data (his user account). So I want to adjust the policy to Moodle's features that I can use to manage data retention. Currently I have no idea how to delet users data after retention period, and according to GDPR, you can't keep the personal data forewer, especially if you don't have a reason for that.

Uh, oh, GDPR sad