Feature request: Giving discussion threads a subject seperate from its posts

Feature request: Giving discussion threads a subject seperate from its posts

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is a common feature in many forum software. In my view this will make the Moodle Forum more scalable.

This is the idea: Let us say, I want to write a series of posts, "How to bake ice: Part 1", "How to bake ice: Part 2", etc. all in one thread. If I start "How to bake ice: Part 1" the forum mail of part 2 will have the subject line "How to bake ice: Part 1 -> How to bake ice: Part 2" which is confusing. Giving the first post a subject like "How to bake ice" is also not a good complete.

This is the solution: When one starts a new thread the interface shows only one subject line. Once saved and started editing again, the subject gets duplicated in to a thread subject and a post subject which can be separately edited. In all the subsequent posts, only the post subject can be edited.

The thread subject can be modified by the OP or the teacher at any time.

This has the side benefit, that discussions can be marked [SOLVED] by the OP.

What do you think?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Feature request: Giving discussion threads a subject seperate from its posts

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Correction:
- Noticed only now that the subject line of the forum mail is "Course name: Subject of the post".

- There is this long header in the mail itself, which goes "Course name -> Forums -> Forum "Forum name" -> Subject of the thread -> Subject of the post". A long story!

Still I don't have an elegant solution.