Importing Cloze (Embedded Answer) questions from another course

Importing Cloze (Embedded Answer) questions from another course

by Beni Keller -
Number of replies: 2

Hey all

I created a Quiz containing a Cloze question. From the moment on someone took the quiz I was unable to edit the question and instead got the following message

> This question is used in 1 quiz(s), total attempt(s) : 1

which seems correct to me. The question is located in the question bank of the course.

I then went on to import the question bank into another course, expecting the questions to be copied to the new course and therefore be editable again. To my astonishment I instead got the message

> This question is used in 1 quiz(s), total attempt(s) : 0

when trying to edit the imported question.

This raises several questions:

• Is there a way to make the copied question editable again?
  • Is importing the questions even copying them or merely creating links to the same question?
  • How am I supposed to import questions into another course in order for them to be editable in the target course?

We are on Moodle 3.4.1+ (Build: 20180118)

Thank you :D

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beni Keller

Re: Importing Cloze (Embedded Answer) questions from another course

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Beni

It sounds like the questions may have been added directly within the quiz. The best way to create questions is into the question bank using categories to organize them and then add them into specific quizzes.

Are you able to create a new category and move the questions into the new category?

In reply to Kim Salinas

Re: Importing Cloze (Embedded Answer) questions from another course

by Beni Keller -

We're importing courses from another system and therefore aren't able to move courses to other categories nor is it feasible to create questions on category level. We depend on the import function for quiz questions (at least for now).

Are you saying it isn't possible to create questions on course or quiz level and import them in another course without having some of the user specific data copied? Shouldn't this be considered faulty behavior / a bug?