We find ourselves in a somewhat similar boat to Qamarudeen. Is there any hope of maybe forcing Moodle Mobile to check the file system instead of the Database in order to avoid downloading the large content? If all we had to download on each iPad would be the additional data, like the attempts information you mentioned, it would significantly help our situation as I assume the download size would be minuscule in comparison.
We're happy to test some approaches on our end and report our findings if you could perhaps point us in the right direction.
Thank you for your help Dani!
reading from database should be faster than checking at the file system, that's why we took this approach. Also, database allows us to store more data about the file like the original URL of the file, its timemodified and revision in Moodle, its download time, etc. Some of this data could be calculated if we read the file system, but for example we wouldn't be able to tell if the file needs to be updated or not because we don't know the time it was modified in Moodle.
In any case, I'll write down your suggestion so we can take a look at it in the future, but you shouldn't expect a change soon.