Teaching with Moodle

Pre Use Questions

Picture of Max VA
Pre Use Questions

I want to use Moodle to run an Online School in a "developing country". Is there a way to restrict content? Is there a way to group courses by grades (Kindergarten, Preschool,1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Pre Use Questions
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moving to Teaching with Moodle forum...

You might want to explain what you mean by "restrict content" though. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Max VA

Sorry about that. What I mean by restrict content is that I don't want random people to wander on the site and start clicking away and downloading gigs of stuff because it'll be one data pack per grade. So seperate the ones who have paid from those who haven't.

The way the Grade thing will work is like a hierarchy with grades on top and subjects below that and courses in the subjects. As the students progress through the grade the next one will open up as they've paid (I can manually unlock a grade and then lock the previous one so it's really not that big of s deal) and the previous grade will then be locked. So they can just concentrate on their grade, get stuff done, and move on.

I have no idea how you're supposed to use an Ordered List or an Unordered List without an App. So here's a visual representation of what I'm trying to do.

1st Grade

- English

- - Grammar

- - Latin

- - Handwriting

- History

- - Native Americans

- - Aztecs

- - Spain

- Science

- - Archeology

- - Dinosaurs

- - Intro to Biology

2nd Grade

- English

- - Grammar 2

- - Latin 2

- - Handwriting 2

- - Cursive

- History

- - Rome

- - South East Asia

- - Europe

- Science

- - Earth Science

- - Nutrition

- - Biology

I know I can do some Google fu and in about 2 weeks I'd have some idea about how to go about doing it. Just figured I'd come and ask the Moodle experts as I've never used Moodle. I was going to use a LMS theme from themeforest but I figured that I should just use software specifically for LMS instead of something written on top of WordPress which by default is a blog.

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

You come over as someone - sorry - who has never used Moodle wink

Please install a local copy of Moodle or get a MoodleCloud account and spend a couple of hours playing with Moodle to get a feel for the basics. Moodle can do what you want it to do. You are talking about enrolling users and you are talking about Course Categories. 

You can then come back and ask much more targeted questions and you will get more useful answers. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Picture of Max VA

No I've never used Moodle. It's a bit interesting how things work the way they do. I've set up a test Moodle and I'll see what's up.

To be really straight up though the UI/UX is really wonky and not easy to understand why things are the way they are. But whatever. Is there like full on non baby documentation that I fan read up on? I found some stuff already and I'm digging it.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

See Documentation link at the top of this page, then follow the links to Teacher documentation

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Teacher_quick_guide

As well as the Manage your course and Add Activites sections.

As has already been suggested, the organisational structure you describe is as simple as categories and courses, with the access being basic enrolments. Moodle does not (normally) run with users being given roles such as student/teacher across the whole site, but on each of those courses - a user could be a tutor on one course and a student in another (eg. for CPD purposes, or in a university where a PhD student may also be a tutor on an undergrad course), so the access is simply about enrolments on those courses. There are many different enrolment methods, including an external database method where you could be maintaining your lists of who has paid for what, or PayPal enrolments, or many others.

Perhaps you'd like to clarify what it is about the UI/UX you find 'wonky' - but please bear in mind that differences to other systems are simply about what you are used to rather than 'wonky' in what to you is a new system. (That said, Moodle is constantly trying to evolve and improve UI/UX, so meaningful, constructive suggestions are always welcomed, particularly as Tracker items which give specific improvements rather than just "don't like")

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Max VA

The Wonkyness isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of like when you're nee to anything Google makes it always seems a bit off. I have the why? thing but it'll go away I guess. I saw the Docs. I didn't even know it wss a reskinned MediaWiki. I was just hoping for a Tome or a Bible that had all the spells thst I could bookmark and figure out how to craft my stuff.

An improvement would be for things to just generally be simpler. There's these videos where this guy took his old mother and used her to test out random linux he had VMed. He asked her to find the calculator, a word processing program, a text editor, get to pizza on the internet, change the time, and change the background on the home screen. She could do it most of the time but sometimes he had to help her. An example I just thought is it's kind of like I'm here at this new building (Moodle) and I open the gate and walk up to it and realize that there's a staircase that goes up the side of the wall and that's how you get to the kitchen. The kitchen is a place where you have to go constantly and I have to go up this staircase on the wall. Once you get used to walking on the wall it isn't very weird. The analogy is for the area right below most things thst seems that it's a menu that won't open in another screen but it does because it's the same color and it looks the same. I was messing around with the hime page and making another page and it took me 5 minutes that it's everywhere and I was like well ok that could've been fixed by moving it somewhere else or just telling me that it's not the ssme part as the menu. Maybe if I didn't have the default theme set then maybe it'd be different but I'm not sure. If anything have an old lady eho knows nothing about Moodle or what it is and just do a usability study with old people and see what happens. Ask them why they couldn't find the thing and they'll let you know why.

I'll look at it tomorrow and try to figure out what seems wonky. I'll get used to it so it's whatever. Still get the old people to test it though.

When I set up the test Moodle it asked me to register and right away I'm like nope. I'm good. Then I looked at the ones in my area and it doesn't seem like they've been checked. Half of them are no good. When I'm good and ready I'll register but not yet. It's just on some free server being a test.

*Edit. A very good idea came ito my hesd from when I had the 5+ minutes to figure out why the menu kept not being a menu when I did what I did. I'd really like an obvious page creating whatever. Like WordPress "Add Page". A menu would be nice too because it seems you're dumped into this place you don't know and a Home (your main landing site.com) is the place I always see when I go to the site. Not all the time but I see it as a kind of Base. It's what people see first. Some people could probably not care and start on the courses because it's just an LMS and if you look at most of the Moodles on the directory they're fairly barren and it looks a lot like a 60's 70s house where the people never redecorated. I get that they're not sll going to be seen but I think some hiuse keeping should be done to make them look a nicer. A menu here. A banner there. Some blocks below that. Edit thst footer. Edit your header image so people can click on the big logo of whatever education thing you do instead of clicking the home button. 

Picture of Howard Miller

Please don't be shy about asking. We'll try to help. It's quite a big application and you need to wrap your head around the basic ideas.

Picture of Max VA

It is though. I kind of thought it's a LMS how big of a program could it be. From the installer on the free host it's like 1**mb ehich is quite a lot from Moodle. I thought, at least. WordPress is much less, like 35mb. I do like the inclusion of all of the things you'd have to use plugins for. The idea of oh I could do this with that is really neat especially because it has to do with the whole learning aspect is just cool beans.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

In addition to the link to teacher documentation that Richard gave, have a look at the basic Admin documentation here: Admin quick guide

Picture of Dave Emsley
Particularly helpful Moodlers

You're right - Moodle is a far bigger package than WordPress but then WordPress is NOT a VLE.

If you want to add VLE functionality to WordPress you need to add LearnDash or some other but then that's over 100Mb so...

In answer to the first question.  Yes you can restrict people who access the course materials.  There are loads of ways to do this.

HTH

Dave

Picture of Sam Mudle
Particularly helpful Moodlers

You might want to check out the Lynda training videos on Moodle. They are very thorough.  There's even one for Moodle 3.5 now.

https://www.lynda.com/Moodle-training-tutorials/257-0.html