Usability

Challenge to find unread messages

Picture of Kahraman Bulut
Challenge to find unread messages
Testers

Moodle version: 3.3.   theme: boost | Problem: Messages

Hi All,

We regularly send upcoming webinar messages to all our students by sending bulk messages. These messages will ended up as the long list of messages in our Student support account. When any student replies to these messages our student support team faces a challenge to find that unread message, because of the fact that message page ( /message/index.php) display all messages sorted by message created date - 'timecreated DESC'.

How can we find these unread messages ?

Is there any ways that we can filter out ONLY unread messages?

Anyone has a similar issue?

Thanks and enjoy your day!

KB

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Brent Sawatzky
Re: Challenge to find unread messages

Yes, this is really needed.  ie. filter by unread.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I can't help you with "messages" because I don't use Moodle's messaging system in my Moodle.  But your post made me wonder if a forum might work.  Have you considered using forums for your needs?

Testers

Thanks Rick!

The forum is also a nice alternative, but a new thread/topic is not being informed to students. Only subscribed users are informed.

We want to inform every single student about the upcoming webinars, that's why we have used the messages.

We also send the messages in bulk.  However, if you know better option please let me know.

Thanks!

Picture of Just H
Particularly helpful Moodlers

"Only subscribed users are informed."

Set the forum to forced subscription.

Picture of Mary Nielsen

I don't think that there is that filter option. Maybe you can try forum instead of messages?

Testers

It would be nice to have a "UNREAD" filter as the same as in Microsoft Outlook app - please see the highlighted attachment

Testers

Who else is interested on filtering UNREAD messages  ? I may open a JIRA/TRACKER ticket for it

Average of ratings: Useful (1)