Parent child competencies in LP and Course Activities

Parent child competencies in LP and Course Activities

by john collins -
Number of replies: 2

My requirement is to create student learning plans that list the  enrolled  units of Competency in their Qualification. When a student views their learning plan, they will only see a list of their enrolled units and progress towards completion.This is important because it provides a simple and complete list of enrolled units, without having to display all the child competencies (elements) associated with Australian Training Qualifications.

A more granular mapping of the  multiple outcomes of these Competencies to Course activities is required.   I set up the child level competencies (called elements)  and will map these to the course activities.  I will  then create competency rules for the parent to "complete the competency when all child competencies  are completed".

My questions  are :

1. If I don't add the child competencies to the students learning plan (just the parent competencies) , will the parent  competencies still be completed in the learning plan if the student completes the assessment requirements for the child competencies in the Course activities ?
2. Do I need to add the parent competencies to the Course  activities or can I rely on the rule to roll up the outcome to the parent in the Learning plan ?

Trying to work out the relationship between Learning Plans, Course Activities and Competencies. Anyone with any experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to john collins

Re: Parent child competencies in LP and Course Activities

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

My experience has been that:

1. Add only the child competencies to the course activity.

2. Add parent and child to the learning plan (this does not resolve the busy competency view of the Learning plan page for the student/instructor

I was hoping that the only the parent would be displayed on the initial Learning plan page for the students/instructor. If the student/instructor selected the parent competency, a new page with the child competencies would be viewable.

Best Regards, Shirley

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Parent child competencies in LP and Course Activities

by john collins -

Thanks Shirley for your advice here  and sharing your experience.. it is a complex but useful feature.