Error-finding question type

Error-finding question type

by Lee Rain -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everybody,

I am making a quiz in which students are required to find (underline) the errors in a paragraph. What type of quiz should I employ?

Example:

Find the errors in the following paragraph:

"In the 1955, the younger age group had the less number of weight issues, with more than 70% of 20-29-year-olds being assess as having a healthy weight. In the same year, excess weight were only a significant problem among 40-49-year-olds, 20-30% of which were classified as either overweight or obese."

I am currently using Moodle 3.0 for my class. Thank you for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Rain

Re: Error-finding question type

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Lee,

This might just be the thing you're looking for: https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_wordselect

It's like a 'noticing' type of question where you basically click the sentence elements to see whether they are correct or not.

A note on pedagogy though: asking questions where students should mark 'incorrect' answers is not really considered a best practice when developing learning, especially when teaching languages. Students may take the sentence you've created as being correct, which derives from the teacher's obvious subject/matter authority.

Instead, you could combine a Wordselect question with an Essay answer, inviting the students to reflect on why they think the word they clicked is correct/incorrect.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)