How to embed a page into an assignment

How to embed a page into an assignment

by Nick Smith -
Number of replies: 5

I am writing an assignment.

I need to create an html page to put into that assignment. This page could show in a pop-up or a new tab. This page will have text, images and links.

I realize that I could create a "page" in moodle then link to it. Yet this would appear on the course page. If I hide it then students can't see it.

I could create a word document then embed that, but I find this clunky. Students will need to open it in a word processor.

It seems that there should be a tool within assignments to create an internal page but I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks for any help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Smith

Re: How to embed a page into an assignment

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Nick,

I do those kind of "thing" with various Generico filters.  I use a gradient button, that says something like, "Click for more info" on it, which when clicked, reveals almost any kind of content you want to place there. Videos, text, pictures, calculators, tabbed content, accordion content, etc.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nick Smith

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You wrote:
> I could create a word document then embed that, but I find this clunky. Students will need to open it in a word processor.

What about PDF? The browsers have started displaying them "natively". Has the advantage that one can get clean printouts, even creating Moodle-independent content, which the students can own, after the course is over. 'course only if these things are important to you.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nick Smith

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In the newer Moodle versions there is an option for pages you can use:

Make available but not shown on course pages.

In older version you just put the page into a section which is hidden from students.

Thus, you will be able to link to the page from your assignment without students being able to see the page directly in the course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nick Smith

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Nick

What version of Moodle are you using? This can be done using the auto-linking filter within the resource and stealth or orphaned activities.

In reply to Kim Salinas

by William Stewart -

Similar to the orphaned activities, you can create a section that contains the resources you want to use but not be immediately visible to students. Hide the entire section, but make the individual items visible in the section. You can then link to them in your assignments without students being able to see them in the course. The benefit of this is that you can see what they are easily without them being "orphaned". Of course if you have 3.3 or higher, you can just use the stealth option if it has been turned on at the site level. If not, the other methods mentioned above should still work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)