SCORM package & mastery score?

SCORM package & mastery score?

by Leah Hemeon -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Testers

Hi there,

I have a course that includes a single SCORM package (Storyline 3 SCORM Zip). It is set to report complete/incomplete and has an assessment (in the SCORM) where users need to achieve 80% or better to get a complete status. All of my testing shows it working correctly (incomplete when not passed, complete when passed) even with multiple attempts at the assessment while still in the SCORM. However, I have 3 users who have somehow managed to achieve a "passed" status with a grade lower than 80%. One shows a single attempt (no way of knowing how many times they tried within the SCORM as it's unlimited retakes inside the SCORM) with a score of 66.67/100. Another shows a "pass" status with a score of 33.33/100. A third shows 0/100 and a pass status. 

However, I ALSO have users who show failed with scores less that 80%. This make no sense to me. Why would some show pass and some show fail when all of those are failed scores??

I've been using SCORM in Moodle for a very, very long time. I have never seen anything like this. Could it have something to do with the "Mastery score" setting in Moodle? This is the only "new" setting and we've never experienced this behaviour before. If it is, could someone help me understand how it works so I can replicate the behaviour?

SCORM settings in Moodle are as follows (for reference) - I can't share screenshots for privacy reasons:

• Disable preview  mode - YES
  • Display course structure in player - DISABLED
  • Display attempt status - NO
  • Grading method - HIGHEST GRADE, 100
  • Number of attempts - Unlimited
  • Attempts grading - Highest attempt
  • Force new attempt - yes
  • Lock after final attempt - no
  • Force completed - no
  • Auto-continue - no
  • Auto-commit - no
  • Mastery score overrides status - YES
  • Activity Completion - show activity as complete when conditions are met:
    • Must view the activity - checked
    • Require grade - checked
    • Require minimum score - 80
    • Require status - both passed and completed are checked
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leah Hemeon

Re: SCORM package & mastery score?

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Leah, 

With Mastery score overrides status = Yes (default setting) then SCORM operates exactly the same as the previous version.

The SCORM spec defines some specific behaviour around the mastery score which we've followed in Moodle for a while. The Rustici SCORM cloud deviates slightly from the spec and ignores this behaviour by default, so often we'd have people report behaviour in Moodle that didn't appear when they tested using default settings in the SCORM Cloud.

That setting basically lets you ignore the mastery score settings within the SCORM. 

In the past when people have had trouble with the mastery score we have recommended that people remove it from their imsmanifest.xml file, but in 3.1 we added that setting so the behaviour could be disabled a bit easier. 

This FAQ might help to explain it some more:
https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/SCORM_FAQ#Moodle_changes_cmi.core.lesson_status_from_.22completed.22_or_.22passed.22_to_.22failed.22

hopefully that helps!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Leah Hemeon -
Picture of Testers

Thanks Dan. It does help explain quite a bit but doesn't solve the end problem. I have a ticket in with our Moodle host to see if they can shed any light on it. This is happening with the course on a hosted site but the same course is also available on our internal server. No one has had any issues with the internally hosted course. It leads me to think there's something different about the hosted version but I can't pinpoint what it is.

One other question to help me narrow this down more - if the external users have spotty internet, how does that impact the connection to the SCORM window and Moodle? I know in the past I've received a pop-up message from Moodle about unstable connections but it's always been somewhat random. Is this a standard message or is it a setting we enabled somewhere?

Thanks!

In reply to Leah Hemeon

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sounds weird!

If they are known to have spotty internet I'd reccomend they use the mobile (or desktop) app when using scorm because it runs on the device and passes back completion data when internet is available.

The network check is standard(you can't turn it off) and basically just does a check to make sure it can see the moodle server.

Good luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)