how to play .wmv and .avi files on Moodle

how to play .wmv and .avi files on Moodle

by Madhukar Reddy -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, 

I have installed Moodle  3.5 on my server and installed eguru moodle theme on my site, also integrated Microsoft OneDrive Repository and it is working fine, now i am unable to upload/play .wmv & .avi file formats, 

So please help me on this 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Madhukar Reddy

Re: how to play .wmv and .avi files on Moodle

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Madhukar,
Playing media formats like .wmv is dependant on your user's computer rather than Moodle, they need to have the appropriate codecs and their browser needs to support playing that file type (or have the appropriate plug-ins).  The de-facto standard format for video on the web is h264 using a .mp4 extension.  .wmv and .avi are unlikely to be playable though the web browser for most of your users - they will need to download it and play with a video player like VLC.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Madhukar Reddy -

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for your reply,

Actually we don't want users to download the files into their systems, so we want to play within their Browser, so please share me if is there any other alternative ways

Thanks,

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The only way to ensure all your users can play video through their browser is to have the video in a format that's supported by browsers.  What this means right now is that you'll have to convert your videos to h264/mp4.  Moodle uses videojs which supports embedding these videos in an html5 player.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

As a general rule, using anything other than MP4 for videos always creates a problem as not every browser supports every codec, As suggested, the MP4 format is universal, it's simple quick and clean. To convert videos to MP4, download and install Handbrake, a free converter, copy all your wmv, avi, mov, and other video files to a single folder and convert the whole lot at once to MP4 or M4V. Simple.    

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Madhukar Reddy -

Hi, 

Thank you Mark & Colin, 

Sure will do same

Thanks,