Problems sending emails

Problems sending emails

by Fernando Pérez Cos -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I have installed Moodle email test plug in. After testing it, there seems to be no problem. This is the email I received:

This is a test message. Please disregard.

If you received this email, it means that you have successfully configured your Moodle site's email settings.

Additional User Information

Registration status : Registered user (fernando).

Preferred language : en

User's web browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.181 Safari/537.36

Moodle version : 2.6.1+ (Build: 20140220)

The problem is that even though the email configuration seems to be OK, I don't receive any message from forums.

Any idea to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Pérez Cos

Re: Problems sending emails

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you got Cron running?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Fernando Pérez Cos -

Thanks Howard for your help.

In theory the cron job is working. At least, it was.

The cron job settings at the moment is:

0,30****wget -q -O /dev/null http://spanishcourse.org.uk/onlinecourse/admin/cron.php

However, in site administration > notifications you get this message:

The cron.php maintenance script has not been run for at least 24 hours. Help with Cron

When I click on the link "cron.php maintenance script" I get this message:

!!! Sorry, you have not provided a valid password to access this page !!!

Some few days ago, it worked but not now.

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you get that message your are NOT running Moodle 2.6 for a start. Check which version you *are* running. My assumption is that you have been upgraded but are not aware that has happened. 

Here are the instructions for the latest version (3.5 at present) -

.... this tells you exactly how to fix your problem so I won't repeat it here. 

However, you are using the web based cron option. Unless you have a very good reason to do this, you shouldn't. You should switch to the command-line version. Moodle has been threatening to remove it for some time. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Fernando Pérez Cos -

Hi Howard:

In Site Administration > Notifications, what it says is:

Moodle 2.6.1+ (Build: 20140220)
Copyright © 1999 onwards, Martin Dougiamas
and many other contributors.
GNU Public License

That's why I thought I had Moodle 2.6 but I can be wrong as I don't know much about Moodle.

In any case, I have already changed the Cron Job to:

0,30****/usr/bin/php /usr/local/onlinecourse/admin/cron.php

However, it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Regards,

Fernando.

by Howard Miller -

You can't have 2.6.1 and have that message. Although the Notifications page says you do. That's strange. I can only conclude that *something* happened when this broke. What was it? You might be better making some enquiries.

What does "it doesn't work" look like? What happens if you run

/usr/bin/php /usr/local/onlinecourse/admin/cron.php

...directly on the command line?