Suggestions for format for workbook in Moodle

Suggestions for format for workbook in Moodle

by Nigel Gilbert -
Number of replies: 15

Hiya all,

I have been asked to look into moving class workbooks into an online format, preferably in Moodle. The workbooks are a mixture of information pages and pages that students fill out such as reflections, feedback and profiles. I am looking at the book module and it's fine for static pages and for laying out the format of the book as a whole. I'm having problems with the content that students need to fill in. Some of this can be done with embedding a Google Form, but that has the drawback on not being able to be edited later. It would also mean that the data would be spread out over several Google Forms.  I could embed some H5P but i'm not sure how the data would be saved and kept 'live' for a student to go back and edit or for a tutor to view. My first though was to create PDF forms but these can't be viewed, edited or saved in Moodle(?).

Can this sort of thing be done in Moodle?

Thank you in advance,

Nige.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nigel Gilbert

Re: Suggestions for format for workbook in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. First  of all, for security reasons,  it is not advised for students to edit Moodle books . Have you thought about using more than one activity rather than a single workbook?

You could have a Moodle book for the material the teacher needs to present.

You could have individual wikis for the students to complete reflections in (they can edit at any time and can't see each others)

I'm sure others will come back with more ideas smile 

by David Morrow -

One of the nice features of the Assignment module is the "Additional files" setting. It allows you to upload files and make them available to download as part of the assignment - giving each student a copy to work in and then upload as an assignment submission. It can be used in this way to replicate the "worksheet", where you distribute the worksheet, students complete it, then they pass it back up to you.

The Assignment activity has space for instructions and information, but you could also use the Book for the static informational pages, and include hyperlinks to an Assignment activity. Maybe include a link in the Assignment description back to the next page in the book to help with the work flow. Every activity and every Book page has its own URL.

Depending on what sort of filling in the students are doing, a Quiz might be good, too. Then you get the advantage of auto-grading for the objective questions. Essays still have to be graded manually, but you would be doing that anyway (probably) - and there are a couple of settings that help with the process.

Options!

David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Morrow

by Nigel Gilbert -

Hiya,

Thank you for your responses and ideas smile

I think I need to forget about the book format and mix several activities as you suggested.

Thanks again,

Nigel.

by C Schipper -

You can quite easily do this with just one "Quiz" module.

You can add the information in the "Description" question type, then add "Essay" or other questions in the same place as they currently are in the analogue workbooks.

To save work, just make sure you add enough page breaks; every time the student clicks "Next page", their previous answer(s) are saved. Moodle will pick up on the page where they last were and as long as they don't "Submit all and finish" they will still be able to edit their workbook.

We have developed several online workbook this way.

In reply to C Schipper

by Nigel Gilbert -

Hiya,

That's a nice idea, I'll give that a go, thank you. It would be nice if, one day, you could integrate activities into a page in a book module.

Nige.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You could also try using Lesson--it can include a table of contents.  The question options are not as robust as quiz but they're present.  Quiz allows you to put multiple questions on a page, lesson does not--But lesson does let you do branching and it lets you create remedial or advanced paths based on student answers to questions or even how the student chooses to proceed.  Lesson, for all that it is the red-headed step child of Moodle, is really powerful and pretty cool.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could also use the Content Pages plugin (mod_icontent). To a certain extent, it sort of mimics a presentation when it comes to how pages show up on the screen, and it supports some question types along with the capability to let students make comments on each page.

by David Morrow -

Nige,

Each page of a Book is, essentially, a web page and supports all kinds of embedding and linking. There are several filters that will automatically generate a player if you just paste in a URL from YouTube or many other media sites (this may be in core now - we are still on 3.1 and use a plugin). Or use the HTML option in the editor tools and paste in embed codes from other sources (like H5P).

I think I know what you mean - adding, say, a Quiz directly in a Book. But there are lots of other ways to get interaction into a Book.

Thanks,

David

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Nigel

Could you show us a sample workbook? I assume, you are looking for the electronic equivalent of something particular from the analog (brick-mortar, chalk, pen-and-paper) classroom, right? I am certain that you'll find scans (PDF) of workbooks which resemble yours.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Nigel Gilbert -

Hiya,

Thanks for all the great ideas, I need to sit down and go through them carefully.

Nige smile 

by Nigel Gilbert -

Hiya,

I have tried the suggestions above, thanks for the input. Splitting out the activities in the workbook is doable but the user experience isn't very engaging and the flow is not as good as in the original workbook. I'm not sure Moodle is the right platform for this project. I enclose a pic of a typical workbook page. I could do this as a pdf but I want to avoid the continuous uploading and viewing as these workbooks are updated throughout the year. Are there any suggestions for this outside of Moodle?

Many thanks for you input and time smile

Nigel

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Or the built-in standard Feedback activity Not as powerful as questionnaire suggested by Visvanath, but it is there by default.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nigel Gilbert -

Thank you all,

The questionaire is the most promising activity. Some of the workbook  requires tutor feeback for some particular questions and also there are a couple of tabular formated questions. I may just have to think of a way to completly restructure the workbook.

Thanks again

Nigel smile

by David Morrow -

Agreeing with Visvanath and Mary. Both are great tools - and Feedback is built in. And you get some summary graphics. Another option might be a simple Google Form, embedded into a Book page.

David