Suspended users show 'active' in previously enrolled courses

Re: Suspended users show 'active' in previously enrolled courses

by Al Henneberger -
Number of replies: 0
I agree with your sentiment about suspending users but remaining active in a course.
I have begun to incorporate cohorts into our system.  However, I have found that once a student is placed in a cohort and cohort sync is set up for a course, you cannot manually change any setting set by the cohort sync.  For us, the initial grouping is temporary and the students are moved to a final group based upon the needs of the instructor.  However, once a group is set in the cohort sync, it is fixed.  So I changed the cohort sync group to none, but that sort of defeats the purpose of using cohorts as now I or the instructor must go and put the student into the temporary group.
Cohorts make enrolling students in multiple courses easy (I also do not forget one when adding new students). But, I am starting to get the feeling cohorts are more trouble than they are worth.
I have also just discovered the same applies to suspending (inactivating) a users access to a course. Again, defeating the purpose of using cohorts. I do not want to create a bazzilion and one cohorts to fit all combinations.  I guess I could remove the student from the cohort, but that also unenrolls them from any other course.
Is there a way to have the only fixed item in cohort sync to be membership in the cohort and all other options in the cohort sync allow manual overrides?

Thank your for any assistance anyone can provide.