Some users failed to log in

Some users failed to log in

by Fung Tony -
Number of replies: 3

I have some users can't log in to the Moodle (2.6) site recently.  Before, they could log in successfully.  But, in recent weeks, some users reported that when they tried to log in, they got on-screen message "Database connection failed".

I succeeded to use those user accounts to log in to another UAT site which has older data.  And the data size of the UAT site is smaller than that of  the production site.

Moreover, it takes longer to log in recently.  When the password submit button is pressed, the page keeps loading.  Other users sometimes can log in to the site while failed in other time.

We use LDAP server for user authentication.  Could someone help to point me to the right direction for solving this problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fung Tony

Re: Some users failed to log in

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please can you tell us more about the environment: web server type (e.g. Apache or IIS) and version, web server operating system type and version, database type and version, PHP version.

Are the LDAP authentication settings identical on the UAT site and the production site?

If the LDAP authentication Host URL is specified by DNS name, check that the IP addresses returned are correct. E.g. if you have ldap://ldap1.example.corp check the returned IP addresses are LDAP servers the Moodle server can reach.

Moodle 2.6 has been out of support for three years so you should plan to upgrade to a supported version. It's difficult to provide help with older versions.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Fung Tony -

Hi Leon, thank you for your reply.

I think the Moodle site can connect with the LDAP server as other users can log in successfully.

Would it be the problem of the Database because my IT colleague told that the database is getting bigger and bigger, approximately 5 GB?

In reply to Fung Tony

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did you check any of the things suggested or find out any of the listed information that would help us to troubleshoot this issue with you?

I realise your production site can connect to the LDAP server in some cases as it's working intermittently. I asked about the DNS settings as that's a potential explanation for this intermittent problem.

It could be a database issue but you haven't provided any of the requested details about your database (type and version). There are Moodle sites out there with databases >100 GB so size in itself isn't necessarily an issue.