Moodle 3.5 Unicode UTF8mb4 support (Emoji Support)

Moodle 3.5 Unicode UTF8mb4 support (Emoji Support)

by D Anderson -
Number of replies: 6

Hi All,

We have installed a Bitnami Moodle 3.5 stack and have converted our MySQL to Barracdua file format, edited my.ini in Mysql for the required Unicode settings but still cannot see any emoji icons in any editable area.

We have followed the https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/MySQL_full_unicode_support guide as suggested. Still no emoji sad

Any one have any suggestions.

Many thanks

Regards

Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to D Anderson

Re: Moodle 3.5 Unicode UTF8mb4 support (Emoji Support)

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you see any warnings on the Environment report (Site administrationServerEnvironment) or is everything listed as OK?

Was this an existing site that you're implementing full Unicode support on? If so, did mysql_collation.php complete successfully?

In reply to Leon Stringer

by D Anderson -

Hi Leon,

Thank you for your reply.

Server report shows no errors:

mysql_collation.php ran quickly with no errors. We only have 20 courses with only 410 users.

Any further support would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

In reply to D Anderson

by Leon Stringer -

I may have misunderstood your original question. With full Unicode support enabled in the database there's no additional support for users to add emojis via the Moodle interface.

So if you add a label activity to a course and copy the last line from MySQL full unicode support, paste it into your label and click Save and return to course this should work and the emojis should be displayed as expected.

If full Unicode support is not in place you will get an error message instead and the emojis will not be displayed.

As for entering emojis that's up to either the browser or the operating system (I think Microsoft Windows can do this), or these can be copied and pasted as above.

by D Anderson -

Hi Leon,

On our previous version 3.3.1 Moodle we were able to type smile and a smiley face automatically converted to an Emoji.

We have since upgraded our Unicocde and MySQl versions due to messages in the environment report. We also have installed an SSL certificate so we no longer have any warning messages. We are now using Moodle 3.5.

We are able to copy and paste the line from the MySQL full unicode support and the images show but not when we type the HTML Settings Text e.g. smile smile sad

Were we just lucky this worked before, could this have been a browser issue or something else?

We were using emojis in feedback to students which they found amusing and engaging. They had a positive impact on the use of Moodle compared to Google Classroom for example.

I guess it is not the end of the world and I can use an Chrome plugin to achieve the same result. Just would have liked full functionality of the HTML Settings function unless I am mistaken for what it's purpose is and how it should be used.

Many thanks for your continued support.

Best Regards

Dave

In reply to D Anderson

by Leon Stringer -

OK, so this is something slightly different which is the functionality to show emoticons as images.

For this you need to make sure the Display emoticons as images filter is enabled (under Site administrationPluginsFiltersManage filters).

This is off by default so you may need to enable it for a new site. However, I don't think it should get turned off if you upgrade a site. If this has happened this may be a bug.

Let us know how you get on.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by D Anderson -

Hi Leon,

Fixed smilethat did the job. This needs to be added to the emoji documentation pages.

many thanks for you help.

Best regards

Dave