help by phone?

help by phone?

by Josie Sevilla -
Number of replies: 9

Is there a number we can call for assistance? I have posted twice in these forums (first was in April) and have also filled out a form - can't remember where, but I got a Moodle Help Desk ticket last week. Not to be impatient, but I have a deadline for creating this course and can't do anything else until I get help. Thank you in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josie Sevilla

Re: help by phone?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Josie - sorry you haven't had replies yet. (I've asked a couple of questions on one of your posts, but I don't have a lesson activity with student data to hand to be able to check your other one. Hopefully these posts will prompt someone to take a look again. (In terms of useful reports, Moodle's Quiz is much more powerful than the Lesson activity, but I understand if you have spent a lot of time setting up lessons that you dont want to use quizzes.)

As you no doubt realise, Moodle is free open source software, which means there is no real central support desk but there is a huge community of volunteers on these forums who are willing to assist. Unfortunately sometimes people don't notice questions immediately or the questions might be unusual.

Official Moodle partners offer paid support, and failing a response in these volunteer forums you could consider that.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Not everyone checks all Forums either, Josie. For the moment, perhaps it might be better to post questions in the General Forum, so as you get more familiar with Moodle you may look to the more specific Forums to find responses to existing questions. 

Check the settings of the Lesson, looking particularly at Flow Control. If you "Allow student review" that should assign a Student's responses to a student. (AFAIK, but I am not a big user of Lesson activity.)   

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Josie, others are guiding you well.  However, I want to add a helpful thought.

When I was new to using Moodle, I too wanted to "talk" to someone.  Then, I attended a MoodleMoot, which my questions in hand, and proceeded to talk to presenters and other people attending the Moot and asked my questions.  It was really helpful.

If you could attend the MountainMoot, it would probably be worth your while. Go to one of these Moots with the goal of "making connections."  Or the MoodleMoot US (in Denver) would probably work well, too.  

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Josie Sevilla -

These are all excellent responses, thank you. And I am looking into both a MoodleMoot and the paid help lines. Depending on the price, having a number to call until I meet my deadline would save me a lot of stress. 

Thank you again. 

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

And Josie, when I first started I was driving myself up the wall by not reading the Moodle Docs. When I started reading, I learned a lot and found it was actually easier to do things. I am not sure how good the docs on Lessons are, but they may help. Oh, I also found that a number of docs were actually hard to read, the language was just not user friendly or they hadn't kept up with the latest versions, or they were simply too sparse to be of much use. So I just started making corrections or adding bits in that were more accurate or relevant to a need. I didn't have a lot of time, and I wasn't pedantic about it, but I think I made a number of small contributions that have helped people. I also found it was a good way of understanding things a bit better, of learning to avoid mistakes. being better all round. Just patience and persistence. Also, the Docs Community Manager, Helen Foster, is very helpful, supportive and really tolerant of my nonsense..smile which is an extremely good thing. 

I would urge you to read this post in Comparisons and Advocacy Forum, it might give you some insight as well.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Please also note that the docs are a Wiki. If something is confusing and you take the time to figure it out please update the docs to make it better for everybody. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Josie Sevilla -

I love the docs. They are very well done and very informative. In the docs, I learned that I could change student permissions so they can do more in the courses. But then found that I can't and we can't seem to figure out why. I'm still working on it. Thank you for all your help. 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Josie if you can't change permissions it is perhaps because you yourself don't have the relevant permissions.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Josie, I have been using Moodle since 2008 and have never needed to change student permissions. But maybe so, since there are many ways that people use Moodle.  What do you find students cannot do?