Hub or something else

Hub or something else

by Marijan Milovec -
Number of replies: 9

Hello everyone, I have a question. 

I have a Moodle 3.4 version and I would like courses that I have there upload on some other web application which is actually something like some repo with all kind of school material.

So let's say Moodle is "A" and that other web repo with education materials is "B". So some teacher wants that material from "A" is published on "B".

Is it possible with HUB server? I do have on development Moodle server installed hub, but it was installed by my college who was working on Moodle before me, and I can't find anywhere how to register that other site "B" which is not Moodle but some custom web application(repo), that should accept materials from "A" Moodle.

And I see that Hub is not supported anymore after 3.4 version of Moodle.

So please help, if anyone has a similar problem.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marijan Milovec

Re: Hub or something else

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How about LTI? See the documentation Publish as LTI tool

Also, Moodle.net , our global sharing hub is still available if you wish to upload or share courses with the world. See 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marijan Milovec -

Well, I think we already have on Moodle.net sharing our materials.

But now I need somehow on Moodle when I open some materials to have a button that will publish this material on another site which is not Moodle.

Not sure if LTI is for that...

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have two Moodle servers, A and B.  Actually, production server 2017 and production server 2018.

Several times a month I download a 2017 course to my desktop and restore it to the 2018 server. It takes just a few minutes. Would that not work?  Unless your teachers do not have rights to download and restore, it should be easy.

By the way, the Moodle Association of Japan is making simple Hub plugins to replace the old Hub code that ended in Moodle 3.4. That is while we wait for MoodleNet. Hopefully MoodleNet will come in a year or so.

by Marijan Milovec -

Still didn't get a solution. I installed hub but I can't find anywhere how to register that from moodle I send resources to another site that is not Moodle.

Please help, I really don't know what to do else.

LTI currentčly can't have because we are restricted by Moodle version which is 3.4, and for 3.5 I need new Linux distribution and I can't get it because from some restrictions from system IT department.

So now I only have a HUB and I want that from moodle teacher come to his course and share this course to a specific site that I want, and this sharing will go every time only to this specific site. This site is a custom site with learning materials, and implementation has to be from Moodle to that specific site.

Is it possible with HUB and how? 

Thank you.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have responded to your PM to me.   Please see response there.

For others ... I used to run a HUB ... matter of fact it was (at one time) the only other public HUB displayed (TCEA).  It was mega administration.  Purpose of HUB is to allow teachers from other Moodle sites to publish a backup of their courses to a HUB.  Other teachers from other sites could then search the HUB and (depending upon settings for the entry) download a no user backup of the course to install in their moodle or sign up for the course on the server where it resides.

A HUB didn't really contain courses and did require the setup of a dedicated Moodle instance.

I think, from your description, you need to look again at LTI Provider.  That is built into Moodle 3.1 and you say you can't upgrade to that version.   Then run under a version where the plugin is compatible ... but know that means potential security issues ... a non-supported instance of a Moodle or the plugin itself could be the security issue/concern.

Please see: https://docs.moodle.org/22/en/LTI_Provider

https://moodle.org/plugins/local_ltiprovider

Also see: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193355

I see you desire to publish to an LTI server that is NOT a moodle.   That does present some issues of compatibility.  

https://www.imsglobal.org/toolcompare.html

It might help to know something about that other LTI server you hint at but didn't disclose.

External info: https://www.imsglobal.org/learning-tools-interoperability-resources

BTW ... am not an LTI expert. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Ken Task -

Follow up question for you ...

What does "custom site with learning materials" mean ... specifically.

Why it matters ... if it's just resources (audio/video/PDF's/Docs, etc.), one could take advantage (depending upon your situation/classification) of things like Google and Google Drive.   Could get unlimited space or affordable space for many many many Gigs of resources.   This would not be LTI, but a simple link whereby control to the resource is on the Google end.

Example: I do admin for a public school in Texas and charge a fee for services.   I setup a spreadsheet in my Google Drive that was really 'billing information' ... what work done and how much the ISD was to expect in fees.   Right on the ISD Moodle instance in a course for System Admins only, had two links to that sheet.   One for me where I could edit and another that was read only for the school staff.  In order to edit, one had to login to Google with the proper credentials.

If your entity qualifies, could be a Google for Education domain ... which opens all sorts of possibilities.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Marijan Milovec -

So latest update, I am sorry I am not the admin of this systems.

Moodle 3.3, and this another site is Alfresco. What I need is on alfresco custom site have links for materials from Moodle, but I need that these links are uploaded from Moodle, I can't hardcoded links in alfresco or something else.

by Ken Task -

So these 'resources' already reside in the Alfresco you mention?   Then it sounds like you need to communicate with those that do admin systems - the Alfresco and the Moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken