Database

single header menu for database

Picture of red rabbit
single header menu for database

bonjour!

I am looking to develop a single header for a list of vocabulary items in a database.

However when I try to change code in template on list view I get it all goes a bit wrong.

I was wondering if anyone in the community could take a look at the preset, and its templates and adjust the list view template so that when I add entries the header only appears once at the top of the page.

I've followed various instructions but the code always 'breaks' when I think I'm doing what is necessary. I've also tried adjusting presets that are available on this site but cannot seem to navigate the HTML as well as usual!

I am thankful for any suggestions

Red

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: single header menu for database
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

You would need to attach the preset for one of us to be able to look at it.

Picture of red rabbit

thanks very much for your quick reply, Al.

I'm attaching the preset with this message. I hope it's not too problematic for you; please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your help!

Best

Red

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Here is the modified preset.

Warning: When you go to edit the list template to see how it's made, over to the bottom left, click on, Disable editor. If you don't, and you use the editors, you will break the layout as it will save table info in the header that has to be in the footer for this to look right, when you are looking at the list view. In other words, it will turn the normally attached list view header, into a separate, un-attached row, above the rest of the list.

Basically, what template is doing is putting the table start info in the Header area, and the table end info in the Footer area. You then add one table row in the header that contains table headers  with the column names and any formatting info you want, such as your use of strong.

In the Repeated entry area, you define and format one table row with a definition of what goes in each cell or column. You should also add a More link in one cell. In this case I added it to the Noun cell. It makes it possible to go directly to a single record in, Single view.

To make each row more compact, I have left off the examples and images. That's what the more link is for, to take you to the single view so you can see the whole entry.

NOTE: You need to edit this preset as you do NOT make use of you CEFR checklist field. You have A1 hardcoded in so all entries are A1.

Picture of red rabbit

Dear Al

This is amazing; thank you so much for your help.

I will take some time today to try and appreciate the changes you made, and digest your other fulsome comments; but I really am grateful for the changes you've made. It looks so much better already.

many thanks

Red