Installing and upgrading help

Moodle 3.1 and php 7.1 risks ?

Picture of Paul L
Moodle 3.1 and php 7.1 risks ?

I recently upgraded php and moodle at the same time on our development site, from php 5.6->7.1 and then moodle 3.1.5+->3.3.5+

After upgrading php moodle server notice stated 7.1 was not supported for moodle 3.1. The site still worked and I proceeded to immediately upgrade moodle from 3.1 to 3.3 but I was wondering if there are any risks or downsides to briefly operating moodle 3.1 with php 7.1 in maintenance mode?

I was thinking about re-trying the whole upgrade process in our development site only this time upgrading moodle first and then php.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Paul L
Re: Moodle 3.1 and php 7.1 risks ?

I just did a little research on the differences between 7.0 and 7,1, for the most part it was not major syntax/feature changes but the focus on backend performance so I guess that's why I noticed no issues.

Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moodle 7.1 is not supported for Moodle 3.1. If the release notes say it's not supported then you can be *sure* that there are problems. 

There were a whole bunch of problems reported in the tracker, see MDL-55120

Picture of Paul L

Thanks for the info Howard, I will be sure to upgrade moodle from 3.1 to 3.3 before upgrading php from 5.6 to 7.1