New versions of qtype_algebra and qtype_formulas for GDPR support

New versions of qtype_algebra and qtype_formulas for GDPR support

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Number of replies: 13

Today I have release a new version of my 2 question types : Algebra and Formulas

The main reason for this release is that Moodle 3.5 is out and that GDPR takes effect on May 25th 2018 so I need to release new versions of all my plugins supporting the new Moodle privacy API

- qtype_algebra release doesn't include any other change than privacy API support.

- qtype_formulas also include the part's combined feedback new feature. Thanks a lot to Bernat Martinez for helping me to test and debug this feature.

Very soon I will release new versions with privacy API support of my contributed question import formats : Gift with medias, Fronter, canvas Desire2learn and qtitwo. Please note that for Fronter, Canvas, Desire2Learn I have had no recent access to any test file so I am not sure that they still work so "use at your own risk". The only really supported question import format now is Gift with medias.

Later I will release a new version of my activity module plugin mod_qcreate (Question creation activity) but here Privacy API is a lot more complex to implement so I need a little more time.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: New versions of qtype_algebra and qtype_formulas for GDPR support

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Jean-Michel,

Interactive with multiple tries, one part. The part's combined feedback behaves as expected.

Interactive with multiple tries, several parts. The behaviors of the parts' combined feedbacks should be independent : if the answer to a part is correct, then this part's general feedback should be displayed even if the answers to other parts are incorrect.

Adaptative mode. The part's general feedback should be displayed only if the answer is correct or after the number of tries is exhausted.

I hope you can make these adjustments so that it makes the part's combined feedback a very useful feature of the Formulas question.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Dominique,

Interactive with multiple tries, several parts. The behaviors of the parts' combined feedbacks should be independent : if the answer to a part is correct, then this part's general feedback should be displayed even if the answers to other parts are incorrect.

Unfortunately this is not possible as contrary to the adaptive_multipart behaviour the interactive behaviour is not "multipart aware" so I can't get the needed infos  from the behaviour to do that. What would be needed would be to create an "interactive_multipart" new behaviour.

Adaptative mode. The part's general feedback should be displayed only if the answer is correct or after the number of tries is exhausted.

This is clearly a bug. To create the part's combined feedback I had to modify the code for the general feedback and surely I diddn't get it right. I will look into fixing that.

There is also another problem reported by Bernat Martinez: I forgot to undo the styles change that I did to allow inline parts and this break some old questions.

So clearly a new version is needed.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I am confused :

Can you provide an example of an attempt and point out what display you think is incorrect.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Interactive with multiple tries - Multiple parts

In the exemple below, the answer to the first part is correct on the first try. Only 'Part 1 - For any correct response' is displayed but, ideally, 'Part 1 - Part general feedback' should also be displayed on the first try.

This example is available at https://moodleformulas.org/course/view.php?id=22&section=6

First try :

Second try :

Formulas20180519-1818.png

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Jean-Michel,

This is clearly a bug. To create the part's combined feedback I had to modify the code for the general feedback and surely I didn't get it right. I will look into fixing that.

Have you had a chance to look at this? It would be great if the 'combined feedback for each part' worked in the adaptive mode.

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Jean-Michel,

In order to reproduce the usual combined feedback behavior with individual parts in the adaptive mode, I would suggest the following. For each part:

• If the answer is incorrect and there are still points for the part, only display 'For any incorrect response'.
  • If the answer is incorrect and there are no more points for the part, display both 'For any incorrect response' and 'Part general feedback'.

Do you agree? Do you think it's feasible?

by Dominique Bauer -

Thanks to Jean-Michel Védrine for implementing the 'Part's combined feedback' for the Formulas question type, and thanks to Bernat Martinez for helping Jean-Michel to test and debug this feature.

The Part's combined feedback, which is my orignal idea, adds a great deal of flexibility to possible feedback for each part of a Formulas question. This is a very good improvement of the Formulas question. I am very happy that Jean-Michel was in agreement and has implemented it.

There is a small yet important point that I would like to mention. In adaptive mode, when the answer to a Part is correct, then the text 'For any correct response' appears, followed by the 'Part general feedback'. This behavior is perfectly adequate. However, when the answer is incorrect and there are still points for the part, only the text 'For any incorrect response' should be displayed. When there are no more points for the part, the 'For any incorrect response' should be displayed followed by the 'Part general feedback'.

In this way, the flexibility of the 'Part's combined feedback' would be even better and make it perfect. I trust that you will be able to respond favorably to this request.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Jean-Michel,

thanks for releasing new versions of question types !

I am just trying the formulas question. I am missing the documenation, would you please add it ?

Ah, another detail: for the algrebraic formula answer the system does not like numbers in the formula string...Is this for purpose ?

Also, I am noticing that when I check the "Grading criterion*" for numerical formula answer and save the question, it does not save the checked box. 

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello

The documentation of the formulas question type is maintained by Dominique Bauer and is here : https://moodleformulas.org

Can you give me an example of your problem with the algebra question type because I don't understand it?

For the Grading criterion in the formulas question type if you just check the box and leave the text as it is (for instance _relerr < 0.01) it is quite normal that after saving the question and re-opening it the box is not checked. This is because the code see that you don't have a real grading criterion and just display the simple form with the drop down menus.

Read the documentation about grading criterion and you will see that this is not a bug.

I know that mastering all the features of the formulas question type is somewhat difficult but you will see that Dominique's excellent work helps a lot.

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Jean-Michel,

Could you give me your opinion on my previous post? https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=370849#p1513416

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Dominique,

Sorry not to have answered your question before but I was thinking I could find some time to work on that problem but unfortunately that still hasn't be the case.

During Summer all I could do was to fix some small bugs found by Bernat and post some messages on this forum.

I began to look at the feedbacks/behaviours problem but until now have not found a solution.

I hope I will be able to do some more work on that problem in the upcoming weeks but not quite sure. As soon as I make some progress I will post on that forum my findings.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

A French teacher asked me a question and I think I must share my answer on this forum.

To create a question about unit conversion he had that line in the Global variables

B=pick(index,"mA","$$\mu$$A");

But this was not working and μA wasn't displayed properly, even with the latest version of the formulas question type (before version 4.81 unfortunately filters were not properly applied to some question parts) and the MathJax filter activated and set in compatibility mode.

The problem is that all text written in the random and global variables fields is in fact code and will be evaluated by the formulas system,

so

"$$\mu$$A"

is a php string and the \ should be escaped, you need to write:

B=pick(index,"mA","$$\\mu$$A");

Note that if the MathJax filter is not in compatibility mode this will be written

B=pick(index,"mA","\\( \\mu \\) A");

Average of ratings: Useful (1)