General help

3.5 Course Overview Block Banner Colors

Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: 3.5 Course Overview Block Banner Colors
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I voted for this, too.

I also added the following comment:

I am one who believes that if colors or graphics are going to be used, that for any new course added, there should be a default color (for example, white or gray.)  Then, the user should be able to change these to their preferences (for example, green=current, red=old, yellow=upcoming, etc.)

Better yet, for any course, the graphic should be set somewhere in the course configuration area.  Why not allow someone to use a graphic that is being used to describe a course?  Then these graphics would really become meaningful.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Rick -re your comment - Why not allow someone to use a graphic that is being used to describe a course?  Then these graphics would really become meaningful. You can- that is the main point of the course images. If you have a course graphic then it appears. You only get the patterns if you don't have a course description graphic. See

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yep, I now see!  Well, this opens up a lot of possibilities.

Do you know if there is any recommended aspect ratio for these course graphics, or pixel size?

Picture of William Stewart

I had this same question-I did some screenshots and measurements of the banners and got about 600x150 for the banners. If one were to make their own, it would need to roughly be this dimension- I don't know about adding text or anything and it being centered or not.

I wanted to assign the same color to the same type of course in our setting (4 same courses across 5 cohort levels). This can be easier to say "click to the purple one" instead of name since our students are also EFL students. Below, these aren't randomly generated-rather I made banner images out of the randomly generated designs in a test installation and assigned them as course photos this way until/if the color picker gets added smile.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

these aren't randomly generated-rather I made banner images out of the randomly generated designs in a test installation and assigned them as course photos this way until/if the color picker gets added 

Now that's ingeniousbig grin

Picture of Rick Jerz

I am going to have to spend some time on these graphics.  I am not sure if the "responsive" sizing parameters are correct.   If text is included, it seems challenging to make sure that the text shows properly.