3.5 Course Overview Block Banner Colors

3.5 Course Overview Block Banner Colors

by William Stewart -
Number of replies: 9

3.5 Course Overview Block

I love the new course banners in the course overview block since they expand the target area for clicks/touches, but I was curious as to why some of them are gray versus one of the other random colours. It's not particularly bothersome but I'd prefer a color as it simply stands out more to users.

I was playing around with it in a test site and it seems pretty random to me. I don't suppose in the the future a colour select option could be added? Anyway, just curious for those that are knowledgeable on this particular feature.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Stewart

Re: 3.5 Course Overview Block Banner Colors

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello William. If you'd like the option to select colours, then please vote for this tracker issue which is asking for just that smile  MDL-62050

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along to explain how the patterns and colours are generated but I understand it is related to http://jasonlong.github.io/geo_pattern/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I voted for this, too.

I also added the following comment:

I am one who believes that if colors or graphics are going to be used, that for any new course added, there should be a default color (for example, white or gray.)  Then, the user should be able to change these to their preferences (for example, green=current, red=old, yellow=upcoming, etc.)

Better yet, for any course, the graphic should be set somewhere in the course configuration area.  Why not allow someone to use a graphic that is being used to describe a course?  Then these graphics would really become meaningful.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Rick -re your comment - Why not allow someone to use a graphic that is being used to describe a course?  Then these graphics would really become meaningful. You can- that is the main point of the course images. If you have a course graphic then it appears. You only get the patterns if you don't have a course description graphic. See

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -

Yep, I now see!  Well, this opens up a lot of possibilities.

Do you know if there is any recommended aspect ratio for these course graphics, or pixel size?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by William Stewart -

I had this same question-I did some screenshots and measurements of the banners and got about 600x150 for the banners. If one were to make their own, it would need to roughly be this dimension- I don't know about adding text or anything and it being centered or not.

I wanted to assign the same color to the same type of course in our setting (4 same courses across 5 cohort levels). This can be easier to say "click to the purple one" instead of name since our students are also EFL students. Below, these aren't randomly generated-rather I made banner images out of the randomly generated designs in a test installation and assigned them as course photos this way until/if the color picker gets added smile.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mary Cooch -

these aren't randomly generated-rather I made banner images out of the randomly generated designs in a test installation and assigned them as course photos this way until/if the color picker gets added 

Now that's ingeniousbig grin

by Rick Jerz -

I am going to have to spend some time on these graphics.  I am not sure if the "responsive" sizing parameters are correct.   If text is included, it seems challenging to make sure that the text shows properly. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mónica Sánchez -

Hi!

Does anyone have tried a 433x150px image?

I just found that it works fine because de maximum width is 433px and the height is fixed at 150px.

That way, the courseimage would be cut, -the box is resized due to the responsive design- and the text, if so, would not be distorted.

HTH!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)