Don't allow students to download our videos/ it shows "video not playing, try m4v"

Don't allow students to download our videos/ it shows "video not playing, try m4v"

by Ricardo Adrian -
Number of replies: 10

Greetings everyone!

I'm still new to Moodle! but I think it's a great platform. Now I've encountered a little problem that cannot seem to shake off. My aim is that the users can't download the videos that we offer to them (so they don't share it with people outside of the group), but when I upload any video, it shows "Video not playing? Try m4v" and that is a link to directly downlaod the video to theirs PCs... I've tried countless things to remove that but I couldn't figure out how...

If anyone could give me an idea on how to remove it, I'd greatly appreciate it smile . I'm attaching an image so it's more clear

The Moodle version I'm Using is: Moodle 2.6.11+ (Build: 20150619).

Thanks for reading my message smile

Attachment Video Moodle.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ricardo Adrian

Re: Don't allow students to download our videos/ it shows "video not playing, try m4v"

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Upgrade to v2.9, that should take care of that. My understanding is that the video player changed somewhere around 2.7 or 2.8 to resolve a number of niggling issues. Well, I know there were issues that seemed to be resolved by upgrading, this might be one of them. You could easily overcommit time in looking for  solution here. 

NOTE: Do not go to more recent version than 2.9, that is a big enough jump as it is. You might be able to avoid a number of these issues if you have a regular upgrade policy. For example, I upgrade once per year, at the long break, gives me time to test and recover if an error occurs, not often. I also do not upgrade to the latest stable version, but rather the latest release of the previous version. Most of the issues, if any, in that version have been resolved, it's well supported and I think it it has a better outcome than the latest stable release. You might not be on the cutting edge, but you can be reassured the Moodle will work 99.9999% of the time. I actually spend very little time dealing with technical problems and spend more time dealing with people problems, a more demanding task, for sure, but it works for me. ..smile    

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Don't allow students to download our videos/ it shows "video not playing, try m4v"

by Ricardo Adrian -

I will try that, thanks

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

It appears to me that you have two questions:

1) Prevent students from downloading videos.

If students want to capture a video, they can use many screen recorder software products for this purpose, so you cannot prevent this from happening.

2) Try m4v error.

What is the video file name, and how was it encoded?  I use .mp4 (h264) all the time, and they work fine.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ricardo Adrian -

I know they can just use something like fraps or any recorder, but at least I don't wanna hand it myself. I use .mp4 (h264) too

by Rick Jerz -

So, if you are using mp4s, the built-in video player should work.

Well, if students want to capture, they will.  Yes, maybe it is being "handed" to them, but I don't know how it can be prevented.

I actually see being to download as an advantage.  Students can download and then play videos when not connected to the Internet.  It makes "studying" easier, especially if the student is traveling.

by Rick Jerz -

So, if you are using mp4s, the built-in video player should work.

Well, if students want to capture, they will.  Yes, maybe it is being "handed" to them, but I don't know how it can be prevented.

I actually see being to download as an advantage.  Students can download and then play videos when not connected to the Internet.  It makes "studying" easier, especially if the student is traveling.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ricardo Adrian -

I guess you are right... didn't see it that way... anyways thank you for the comment

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I know it's my favourite question....

If it's delivered over the web it can be downloaded and saved. Often trivially. If the videos have value they will be captured. If they don't then it doesn't matter anyway. 

If your business or teaching model relies on students not being able to save material locally then I would respectfully suggest that you're doing it wrong. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ricardo Adrian -

may be you are right, I may treat it as "advertising" since everything on the module often changes so... Thanks for the comment