Adaptable: version 1.7 released

Adaptable: version 1.7 released

by Fernando Acedo -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Adaptable version 1.7 is available for downloading in the Moodle plugins directory:

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_adaptable

This version fix some bugs and add small improvements and includes the Privacy API to be compatible with GDPR

For this reason, it is compatible with moodle 3.4 and 3.5 ONLY

For a version compatible with moodle 3.3 or previous download version 1.6.1

For a version compatible with older moodle versions (3.1 or previous) download version 1.3.3.1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Acedo

Re: Adaptable: version 1.7 released

by Stuart Vaughan-Williams -

When I add code to the "Site title"box:shott1

It is not reflected in the title:

shoot2

I hope someone can tell me how to fix this.

Cheers,

Stuart.

In reply to Stuart Vaughan-Williams

by Stuart Vaughan-Williams -

Also, this does not make sense logically (gramatically):m3

Additionally, it would be "an h1":.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Open Source code has 2 distinct advantages (It has many bit 2 that apply here smile ) - you can change that language string on your own site AND you can send a pull request to improve it on the source code link on the theme page in the plugins database smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi.

Well there is no point in telling Fernando that because he is Spanish, and perhaps not as aware of the phonetics of the English language. To be honest though, I bet Fernando knows more English than we do  the Spanish language!

But yes you are right, however, you can correct that language string in your Moodle sites > Site Administration > Language > Language Customization.

Cheers

Mary 

by Jez H -

We have added this to our tracker and will improve it in the near future.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What styles are you adding and how?

Also, Atto editor does appear to strip tags a lot more emphatically than TinyMCE does/did, so may be worth switching editors, or if you are comfortable adding code, using the straight html rather than any of the wysiwyg type editors.

by Fernando Acedo -

As Richard stated, the problem is located in the editor. Atto should be avoided as a HTML editor because is well known to strip HTML/CSS tags (just read this forum about many problems using it). If you save the content, and open again the editor, can you see the same content or stripped?

Switch to TinyMCE and the problem should be solved.

And about the string. Adaptable has actually more 1000 string, probably the plugin with more strings to manage and translate. The English version is usually created in UK and many string were part of BCU theme. We are trying to improve continuously the quality of the descriptions because the idea is to avoid a manual or guide. But it is not an easy task when you have more 1000 strings. In this version, some old strings were removed and other were improved in order to optimize the language file.

But if you find some mistake, sorry we are humans, then corrections and suggestions are always welcome in our repository. In the meantime you can correct the string in you site using the Language Customization section. Never modify the language file directly because will be rewrite by an update.

by Diane Soini -

We installed Adaptable back when we did an update to moodle 3.1 and then we divorced it from your repo and customized it ourselves to fix bugs that we found.

Today I've installed moodle 3.5 on a development server and your latest version of Adaptable to see what is different and see if any of the bugs we fixed got fixed by you (we never reported them to you). I loaded some of our Adaptable theme settings for colors etc, but otherwise didn't change anything in the theme.

I want to report some of the bugs that we had to fix a couple of years ago that appear to still be present.

1. There are misalignments of the grabber icon and the edit menu link in the course section header when editing is turned on and a white space on the right for hidden courses.

Course editing mis-alignment

2. The padding for course section edit menus has too little padding on the right.Dropdown menu padding is too close on right

3. On the gradebook setup page the dropdown menus have way too much wrapping. This looks a lot better when the icon and the text are all on one line without wrapping. (Also, wow, such big icons now. I don't know if that was your decision or moodle's.)

Gradebook setting menu wraps too much

4. The bottom-most grade book setup page edit menu gets cut off in the container which holds the table. You can scroll to reveal it but our instructors have trouble figuring things like that out. It's better usability if the whole menu is displayed.

Gradebook setup menu at bottom is cut off

5. This is a new one. The side menu appears in the left column. I forget if we modified this (we probably did) but the gradebook page is so hard to use already, taking up space with a menu at all is a bad idea, and putting what is usually on the right on the left is confusing.

Side menu is on the left on the gradebook view page

6. Probably related to other menus having too little padding on the right, the main menu arrow is all the way to the right. It looks better if there's equal padding as on the left.

Arrow too far to the right

7. In the custom header menus, Top Menu1 for us has the title "UCSB" but the theme shows "Links menu" and when you click on it you get an awful overlay effect. This is probably caused by moodle 3.5.

Top Menu1 title is wrong

If I find any more like this, I'll report them.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

Thank you for reporting the issues. Some of them are already in our tracker and pending of fix. Other like the gradebook page with the column in the opposite side is really strange. We'll investigate it because the gradebook use the default page.

Clone the site in your repo is usually a bad idea. The best choice is to fork it and then submit pull requests to our repo after add the issue.Then we get a unique repor with all the changes and you can get an updated version with all the new features we add periodically.

We try to fix all we can and as soon as possible but notice that Adaptable is an open source software and it is done when developers have some free time.

We'll add the issues not reported yet to our issue tracker and will be fixed in the next version.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Diane Soini -

Thanks.

The reason we cloned it to our own repo and divorced it from yours is because we wanted to make a lot of modifications that we did not want to submit back to you and because we could solve a lot of these things ourselves without waiting.

by Diane Soini -
This problem seems to affect the Clean theme and Adaptable but not Boost.

Turn editing on in a course. Click on an edit menu to show the dropdown menu. Leaving the menu open, scroll down so that the menu is hidden from view. Click on another edit link. Instead of showing the edit menu, the page jumps up a little bit and no menu is revealed. The same will happen if you scroll up, the page will jump down.

by José Luis Martínez Fernández -

Hi, I like Adaptable so much

I want to know if its posible to put the "navigation menu" to the left, docked, for all users, because now if I create a new user, the first time this user go into the web, the navigation menu is visible in the right bar

navigation "docket" navigation "docket" open

In reply to José Luis Martínez Fernández

by Fernando Acedo -

This is the expected result. The docked block are always located in the left side. You can replicate it easily with Clean.

by Andreas Stoeffer -

First off all I will respond to your reply of my last post:

• Hopefully this is the right thread for my question 
  • I try my best to fulfill the forum rules.
  • I read the description, but I can't find an explanation for the behaviour. Maybe I missed the point.
  • Paid support isn't the issue, if it is necessary
  • I support Moodle systems since 12 years, so I got your point about using PM
I use Adaptable1.7.1 (2018073000) with Moodle 3.5.2+ (Build: 20180914)

That is what I did:

1. I upgraded from Moodle 3.1.x with a customized More theme and a custom course format, based on the Topics format.
  2. I switched the default theme to Adaptable after the upgrade

That is what happened:

1. I configured Adaptable for my needs and made some CSS customizations
  2. I switched to Adaptable as the default theme
  3. Adaptable changed the default order of the block elements in courses, no matter what's the default weight of the blocks are

That is what I tested:

1. I forced in some courses using the customized More theme, which I use in Moodle 3.1.x.; Result: The block order is equal to the state before the upgrade
  2. I switched back to Adaptable and the block order has changed again to the order you see in the screenshot.
  3. I added this option to config.php: "$CFG->defaultblocks_dhbw =  'navigation,activity_modules,quickmail';" ("dhbw" is the default course format, instead of "topics")
  4. I added a new course; Result: The blocks have the correct order in Adaptable
  5. I used the "resetblocks" script form the Moodle docshttps://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Block_layout; Result: The blocks have the right order in every course with Adaptable, but that is not the solution, because the script overwrites all course, also courses, which are customized by the users with editing capabilities.

So I assume something happened during the upgrade, which I have no explanation for and I didn't have the skills to solve this by myself.

May Adaptable the possible cause for the described behavior?

Attached you find a Zip file with two screenshots

1. Block order with the customized More theme
  2. Block order with Adaptable

Andreas

In reply to Andreas Stoeffer

by Fernando Acedo -

Please, do not open threads or posts with the same question again and again. I already answered your question some days ago.

The blocks position depends of themes layout. Adaptable is a 2-columns theme as indicated in the theme description.